I finally got another blade out the door. This one was a commission for a very patient customer (Thorvaldr).

DSC_0018.JPG

I guess I'd call it a heavily historical fantasy seax. The blade is Aldo's 1084. It's 10" long, flat grind, 1/4" spine. It does taper ever so slightly from the peak of the spine back to the handle, but it's barely noticeable. The blade has younger futhark runes inlaid in nu gold (15% zinc, 80% copper). On the right side they say "Thorvaldr owns me" and on the left "MHB made me". The customer had his previous seax stolen so maybe have his name inlaid in the blade will deter theft / aid recovery.

DSC_0011.JPG

The handle consists of a cast bronze front plate I soldered on, a section of moose antler I carved with a dremel and dyed with potassium permanganate, a bronze spacer, carved cherry with burned edges, another spacer, more moose, and another cast plate.

IMG_1509.JPG

I unfortunately took only a couple WIP pics. These are all the handle components before assembly. The tang is thick all the way back to 1/3 way through the second moose antler section. After that I threaded it for a washer and nut.

IMG_1510.JPG

Everything fit fairly tightly dry, and then I coated everything with a tin layer of acraglass and assembled. You can kinda see it in the pic above, but the assembly is finished by putting the washer and nut on after the end moose antler and tightening them. This hold the whole thing together tightly even without the acraglass. With the acraglass filling in the little spaces and then filling up the space around the nut it should hold together for a long time. The end piece is nailed in place with 4 bronze nails and some acraglass. i drilled the holes exactly the diameter of the nails so they got good friction but didn't risk splitting the antler.

IMG_1517.JPG

The sheath is 8oz cowhide wet-formed to the seax, embossed, and dyed. All the fittings are hand stamped from bronze sheet except for the ring, which I carved and cast.

DSC_0008.JPG

Yeah, it took me a long freakin' time to finish this puppy. There are mistakes I'm not happy with (notice how the plates on the sheath don't line up right?), but overall I'm very pleased with it, and so is the new owner.

• Like 1

That is pretty darn AWESOME !!!!

Wonderful !!!

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

That is pretty darn AWESOME !!!!

Wonderful !!!

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

This is some inspiring work. I've saved some of the photos posted here as a muse ;)

Nicely done.

Matthew,

that is quite an achievement. I am always impressed by your carving and adornment work. Inlay, carving, embossing... all the things I don't do well. You are a natural at them. Your early art experiences serve you quite well.

great work. I haven't forgotten that you want to see the twisting machine when I use it again, I just don't think I am going to need it for the current short sword I am making (paidao or shield knife, which is like a butterfly sword but longer and pointier).

hope the customer is as impressed as I am with it!

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Thank you guys. When I silence the internal critic that drives me I'm very happy with it/impressed by it. I wouldn't have thought 5 years ago I could have made it, but seeing all the awesome work here is really motivating & educational. My next one should be pattern-welded. I've been drooling over the patterned blades here for years, and now I finally have enough room for a hydraulic press so when the ground firms up later this spring I'm calling Uncle Al!