My first multi-bar attempt

Ok, I try not to post my work before it's done, but I'm totally stoked right now.

I've been working on a 4-bar dagger with a twist core. It's my first attempt at anything multi-bar, and it just survived the quench. Yay!

IMG_20160309_191845496_zpso4ojydtc.jpg

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 2

Looks great!

And it's much better to post work as you go . . .

The layperson that has no appreciation for what goes into these things is more impressed by the finished product, but for those of us that understand the blood, sweat, tears, and perseverance that goes into these things, it's the struggle of the maker to bring something into the world that is the most compelling part of the story: not the punchline.

Great job on this. Looks like nice, tight, even twists, too.

Luck in the finish!

Dave

Awesome job! The welds look fantastic.

Thanks guys :). I was actually prepared to post this as a heartbreaker event. There is a small weld flaw on one of the edge bars, and I figured it would let go.

The twists are 1095 and 15N20, but the edges are W1 so I wasn't too sure how compatible the steels were in the quench.

I'm still stoked. Had to wait for the wife's chicken to get out of the oven before I could temper, so it won't be done tempering for quite a while yet.

May have to sleep with it under my pillow when it's out of the oven ;)

Thanks again everyone. I've calmed back down now :)

Here are a few in progress pics showing the bars before welding, the completed weld before cleaning up the surface, the bar after the nastiness on the surface was ground away, the rough forged blade shape, and after a bit of clean-up on the blade. You can see a couple of weld flaws in the last pic. The one between the core bars cleared up in the rough grinding, but the one on the edge bar remains. I figured it was a goner in the quench, but I guess even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then.

The core bars were 88 layers and roughly 1/2" square prior to the final weld.

I closed the point up with a fish-mouth weld. The pattern is a bit distorted there, but you'll have to wait for better pics to see it. I was determined to show the metal who's boss to get the fish-mouth to weld up solid, and forgot about pattern control for a couple of hammer blows :unsure:

IMG_20160218_181049308.jpg

IMG_20160218_194337408.jpg

IMG_20160219_200611822.jpg

IMG_20160220_211254760.jpg

IMG_20160220_211308372.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the blade up to a 600 grit EDM stone tonight, and I couldn't resist a bit of a test etch. The pattern is pretty wonky at the tip, but not bad elsewhere...

IMG_20160319_230550991_zpsqg1be3xy.jpg

IMG_20160319_230521493_zps0mcmsiec.jpg

I guess this has become a WIP thread, so I figured I would post some shots of the guard I have been working on. Since this whole project was intended to push myself, I wanted to go with some pattern welded furniture.

I started with 8 layers of 15N20 and 1095. Here it is folded once at 16 layers. I had always cut, cleaned thoroughly, re stacked and then welded. It was a bit nerve wracking to cut, fold, and weld without grinding clean. It worked, but I did have some flux inclusions.

IMG_20160328_173832384_zpsdvuuko9m.jpg

I cut it again lengthwise and welded it up one more time to create a 32 layer billet that was roughly 5/8" square. Then I forged a rough guard shape. My general forging skills are pretty bad. I got distracted by knife making before my blacksmithing skills had much time to develop.

IMG_20160329_104833743_TOP_zpsv93vzalk.j

IMG_20160329_122820262_TOP_zpsn7qiqwhj.j

Here it is after a bit of clean up on the grinder and some time with the files:

IMG_20160329_154044760_zpscij2uee1.jpg

After some more filing:

IMG_20160329_162531961_zpssulylwcb.jpg

... and with the slot roughed in for the tang. Still need to do the final fitting, polishing, heat treating, and etch.

IMG_20160329_213635637_zps0isbe9rx.jpg

I'm hoping to get the pommel out of the rest of the billet, but I'm either going to have to re stack it again, or upset the heck out of it to get the width dimension I need. If I only had a press...

You are rockin'. Seriously cool stuff. Dave said it very well - the work and the transformations are the best part for us. Otherwise, I guess we would just go to Coop's site and look at finished pics all day.

Not that we don't ever do that...

I didn't see anything wonky at all. Just the pattern getting stretched from forging. That sort of permanent record of the transitions in the steel can be a wonderful thing.

This is an impressive blade. Thanks for sharing.

kc

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :)

I got quite a bit done on the pommel nut today. I was able to upset the leftover billet from the guard enough to get the dimension I needed for the pommel. I had to upset the bar by almost 50%, and was a little surprised my welds held.

I have a couple of transition pieces to make to go from the handle to the guard and pommel. I am either going to use nickel silver, or 416 for these. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the actual handle yet. I keep vacillating between pretty much all the options. I'm open to suggestions. Right now, fluted with a wire inlay, or a complete wire wrap are top options.

IMG_20160331_211346438.jpg

Try a twisted fluted full wire wrap! I bet it would look great on that, it's one of my favorite historical methods...

Seriously groovy, Brian! I'm diggin' the guard.

I see what you did there. Badum tiss

Coming out spectacularly. Very nice.