Arctic Fire 2016 Blade

Dave Stephens

All:

As some of you may know, we're doing another Arctic Fire this Summer. This time we're all creating something from the hoard of Grendel from the poem, Beowulf.

While the backstory that informs this blade will have to wait until the event, I thought I would share the WIP photos with the forum.

The sword is based on a bronze artifact from the Hallstatt. I've includes a drawing of it.

The blade is mostly done. I now am working on carving the waxes for the guards.

BTW: Does anyone have source for bog oak? I'd like to use some for the grip, but can't seem to locate any. Thanks!

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

• Like 3

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Damn! That is absolutely stunning, I love leaf blades, and now I especially like curved leaf blades I can't wait to see it all finished.

Thanks for raising bar again :P

Very cool blade, and a very cool pattern. Reminds me of a Bronze Age langsax....

This is the only consistant source I am aware of for bog oak. I have a piece or two I would happily donate to the project, mine is from an earlier, older batch and is very black.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Very cool blade, and a very cool pattern. Reminds me of a Bronze Age langsax....

This is the only consistant source I am aware of for bog oak. I have a piece or two I would happily donate to the project, mine is from an earlier, older batch and is very black.

George,

Thanks for the source! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Dave

• Like 1

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll post photos of my attempts at casting the guards.

Dave

This is my 3rd visit to this thread and I still haven't found anything to say that I think is adequate.

So, I 'll just say this: That is some fine craftsmanship Dave. That is one hell of a freakin' sword!

• Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Dave, this is out of control! I'm immensely looking forward to seeing the events unfold and what becomes of it!

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

holy smokes. such a complex cross section it shows off the pattern so well. now I have to clean up where my jaw hit the floor

The smith also sitteth by the anvil,

And fighteth with the heat of the furnace,

And noise of the hammer and the anvil is ever in his ears,

And his eyes look still upon the pattern of the thing that he maketh,

He setteth his mind to finish his work,

And waitethto polish it perfectly.

-Ecclesiasticus

I can see you got your ninja grind on... pattern weld isnt to shabby either !!

Thanks guys. Here's hoping I don't screw up the rest of it.

Matt: Thanks bud, but Ninja grinding not. This is the result of the luxury of not having to produce on a timeline for customers (perk of being a hobbyist). I took the thing down to a very rough approximation of this shape on the grinder, and then spent a ridiculous amount of time hand shaping with files and sanding blocks. I wish I was good enough on the grinder to do this, I'm sure many pros are.

Thanks again, all.

That is fantastic work Dave. That tight twist in the middle, jacketed by those straight billets... just wonderful! It's a credit to your craftsmanship.

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Wes: Thanks man!

Richard: I'm actually not familiar with bog Rata. Is it similar to bog oak in that it was an ancient tree that feel into a bog and has therefore been preserved for thousands of years? Also, thanks for the compliment. I'm a huge fan of your work.

Dave

Dave as usual your work amazes me! bow.gif That blade is one of those that the more you look the more you see! Definitely subscribed to see this one to finish, it's already ......jaw dropping jawdrop.gif

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

oh my flippin' God... Dave, that is one of the coolest blade shapes I have seen in some time. The fittings will be killer, too, if you are guided by the same basic shape.

I have seen those Akenakes-inspired shapes a lot, of course, but never thought to try and make the curved version.

This is going to be great.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Shhhsh you just let me think that... Ibwant some one to be that good ... I am professional and still end up will a lot of hand work..

Wow! The pattern & texture of that blade are just awesome. How big is it? It looks like it's just shy of 4' long!

You guys gotta be careful of this Arctic Fire. I have visions of one of Grendel rising from an icy grave, summoned by the rebirth of his hoard, slowly shambling his way towards Anchorage(?) to reclaim his own.

Of course it's a long walk from Denmark to Alaska, and with global warming there's not gonna be enough ice on the Bering Strait so he'll probably get swept away by ocean currents and end up drowning his sorrows in some Indonesian bar trading war stories with a bunch of Aussie mercenaries. So I think you'll be ok...