Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

Video WIP

I have decided to start a video series on a stag antler Bowie knife build. I have completed the first video of the blade forging. It is about 56 minutes long because I talk about what I'm doing and why rather than just showing the hammer hitting hot steel and letting the viewer try and figure out what is going on. I hope to make a series of these videos of the entire WIP on this knife. Maybe this weekend I can get to grinding, heat treat and finishing the blade.

Thanks for posting this. I watching how people work, and appreciate the time it takes to edit and post the video.

Well GoPro Studio has been driving me crazy for a while now, but I finally got some of the rough grinding/HT video edited.

I had to break up the rough grind & heat treating into two videos. In this half, I go through all of the prep work before grinding the bevels.

Here's the second part of the rough grinding operation.

Next up will be heat treating.

Joshua, I enjoy watching your videos but for some reason youtube hates your videos. Im not sure what the issue is, but its not on my end... i dont think? I watch youtube videos here and there all the time. Never really any issues but EVERYTIME i try to watch or rewatch your videos they never play all the way through. Usually play a minute or 2 and then die. Have to refresh several times and usually that doesnt work I have to check back later..... Anyone else or is this just my luck?

Gabriel, are you watching them embedded in the post, or going directly to the YouTube channel and watching them there?

You are very welcome Andrew. I'm glad you liked them.

Gabriel, are you watching them embedded in the post, or going directly to the YouTube channel and watching them there?

You are very welcome Andrew. I'm glad you liked them.

tried both -- the video just... for lack of better word crashes. I can play music on a loop for hours while im working and no problems. It's pretty annoying.! dont you worry tho, ive already picked up a thing or two from parts of the videos its let me see :P

If i get mad enough ill just download the videos so i dont have to worry about streaming them any more

Here is a short video on the heat treatment of the blade.

Part 4-Finish grinding and hand sanding. Probably not the most interesting of the lot to watch, but I did manage to get a Hamon!

Ive noticed those little shiny spots on my stuff i was thinking it was decarb since i dont have a heat control.Be interested to hear what you find out! They look like speckles, one blade only had a single dot and one blade had a few little blotches. Learned a lot from this video! love it!

That was a good polishing video Josh. I think I am going to grab an eraser and start doing the final sand paper passes with that. I have a small wood stick with some leather attached to it right now, but I think that eraser will be a good step after the leather stick. Your hamon polishing is very similar to mine, although I use powdered pumice with mine. I also do multiple etches with ferric chloride to bring it out more or less.

Wes,

I've only etched in ferric twice at this point. 3 times in white vinegar didn't seem to produce much, and the lemon juice did nada, but the ferric really made it jump out.

I also use that eraser to polish the tops of pins in my handles (after putting a bit of scotch clear tape around them).

Wes,

I've only etched in ferric twice at this point. 3 times in white vinegar didn't seem to produce much, and the lemon juice did nada, but the ferric really made it jump out.

I also use that eraser to polish the tops of pins in my handles (after putting a bit of scotch clear tape around them).

For starters I mix my Ferric about 4 or 5 to 1. The etch is less severe, but I can control it a bit more.

For hamons to really stand out, I think I typically do about 5 or 6 etch and polish cycles. Ferric will give a dark hamon, but lemon juice will make it whiter. Did you use the lemon juice really hot?

That's about my standard ferric mixture ratio as well. I did not use the lemon juice hot. DOH!

I knew that I should have, I just plain forgot. Thanks for the reminder. Time to run out to the shop again.......

My last etch was done with pure lemon juice, I applied a thin layer and let it soak for a few minutes in the sun (I was working outside) while not letting it dry off, I then rinse in windex, and scrub off the oxides with mothers mag&aluminum polish, I then repeat for however long it takes to get a good result( it may take an hour or more). The affect can be accentuated by carefully polishing the perlite area to a higher degree than the martensite(hamon) making a clear difference with the hamon being white-ish and the perlite shining bright.