Sign in to follow this  
Wesley Alberson

First KITH Knife WIP

This is quite the creative build.

Sort of East meets West.

I think that by now you can tell that I'm using KITH as an opportunity to try out some of DaveJ's tutorials! :) I made an iron fuchi fitting today out of a nut, a washer, and some copper wire. I forged out the nut to be wider on one side than the other, and then squished and flattened the washer. I filed the washer so it still stuck out a little, then I pressed the whole thing together in my leg vise. The copper wire was forged thin and placed along the inside seam with some borax. I ground the top and bottom flat, and I am leaving the forged finish on the outside for now. There is some copper that carried over to the outer surface of the fitting, but I'll just wire brush that off.

I hope you all have good internet connections!

2ksRkzT.jpg

Ol3dTDX.jpg

cM3nOPU.jpg

I also gave the guard a hammer texture. This created some slight dishing, which I think looks nice.

yScu5cy.jpg

Edited by Wesley Alberson

nice looking blade! Very impressed with the iron fuchi! Are you going to make a matching kashira?

Thanks! The fuchi actually wasn't that hard to do. And as for the fittings, I don't know yet. I want to make the handle flare out at the end, so that would be a pretty big/unsightly kashira. I might make a kashira like you see on tachi swords, but it would be much more squat so the handle can taper outwards.

So just picture the ring much closer to the other end of the fitting. I don't really know how it would be secured, though. I'm not wrapping the handle.

noF9wEZ.jpg

Edit: Actually, I am going to put a fuchi on the other end! I will make it bigger to go on the end of the handle, and keep the top plate that goes in solid and slightly radiused. I will then secure it by making a thick lanyard loop out of copper that will fit through a hole in the fitting and the handle. I don't want the fittings to be secured with glue so they can be taken off.

Is the image fixed now?

I can't load the pics :(

You can't load all of them, or just my last post? I use Imgur as my image hosting site, but the most recent picture was taken directly from the usagiya website. I will try to edit and fix this, just tell me when you can see it.

Today I found out that I love copper brazing much, much more than soldering. This fitting was really difficult. I had to file, re-flux, hammer out solder, and heat 5 times. I got it stuck, but unfortunately there are some bubbles in there, but I don't want to grind them out nor do I want to do it all over again. I think that it looks nice overall. This was made from the same batch of copper that I made the guard from, and a brass nut. This was my first time forging brass. It was quite easy. Just heat it up until it turns grey, quench, and hammer some more. I used some plumbers solder, which I think should have worked better since I was using materials that it was meant to hold together. I'm keeping a hammered finish on the outer ring, and I will probably polish the end and leave it out to form a patina.

hLFVbM2.jpg

I had to put the piece on top of a flat bar because friction just wasn't keeping it together. Yes, I know that was way too much solder, but the stuff is so cheap anyways.

ZMNoH8w.jpg

sf63YkT.jpg

Here is what I'm planning it to look like. The habaki hasn't been soldered yet, still waiting for the solder to arrive.

RuAn7vi.jpg

I see them all now. It was just the last post before I said I can't load them. All I saw was three names with .jpg extensions. Must have been an internet orc.

Well, I took that image that you couldn't see, uploaded it to my regular image hosting site, and posted it again. It was nothing on your side.

I am just making a bunch of posts on this thread because I have nothing better to do. Well, I could start hand-sanding the knife.... but that's just crazy talk! :P Anyways, today I made a small texturing hammer out of spring steel. It broke in half at the eye when I tried to hammer the handle in. I barely tempered it! I ended up putting the hammer in a c-clamp with some borax and a bit of copper. It brazed up nicely, and I re-heat-treated it. I used it to texture the top of the end cap. It must be something mental, but I feel like it is easier to hammer texture than to sand.

JDsa05R.jpg

r1g3OAK.jpg

The habaki is finally soldered together. The lines on the spine don't perfectly line up, but this is my first habaki. I have forged other habaki, but I've never completed them because I never had the right solder. Now some real progress can be made since I have the fittings lined up.

Thst7Vn.jpg

It is starting to come together! The Ipe was a little bit chippy to carve, but it wasn't too much of a problem. The real challenge was getting the fuchis on the handle. I carefully used a saw rasp, a file, and a small kiridashi knife to shape the ends, and then a triangular tapered drill to start the peg hole. Do you think the end cap would be stable if I used epoxy? I don't want to put anything through the fitting itself.

juMxuw6.jpg?1

TNGtVbc.jpg?1

I really wanted to try ishime-ji lacquer for the scabbard. I think that it turned out okay. The lacquer was mixed with charcoal powder to make it black, and sprinkled with slightly crushed scale to give it the texture. The front seppa still needs to be shaped, the end cap needs to be epoxied on, and the blade needs to be sanded the rest of the way. The scabbard was made from thermory ash deck wood that I got from a carpenter. It is wood that is baked and hardened, so it gives off a slight burning smell when rasped. One problem that I had was that the habaki stopped engaging properly with the scabbard after I lacquered. It's strange because I didn't get any lacquer inside the scabbard. I'll probably glue in a wooden shim to get the fit tighter. It is only engaging on the sides anyways. The width of the blade is larger than the width of the habaki, but not the thickness.

PBEW0gM.jpg?

The koiguchi was really tough to carve. The wood is a bit on the chippy side because it has been baked. I think that I was aiming for the walls to be too thin, I ended up accidentally knocking out the top and the bottom, but the piece is still snug.

y32nuSN.jpg?1

This is my best knife yet! I have learned a ton from this. I will be sad to see it go, but I'm sure the lucky winner will appreciate this one. I surprised myself with this one, blacksmithing for 1.5 years. I don't know how impressive this is to you guys, but I like it.

And the flood of pictures:

DEtWjO7.jpg?1

ldon4LN.jpg?1

FCijUzT.jpg?1

GVcCH6r.jpg?1

c2Lnx44.jpg?1

I like it too. Sort of a malabar coast pirate knife. Yarrrr!

I looked that up and I could only find a weird sickle knife. I think that the shape of the blade is almost like a barong machete.

I just meant it looked like a fusion of Japanese and Indonesian/Phillippine style with a sort of Pirate swagger to it. Didn't mean to confuse you, sorry!

This one has grown on me...

I have to totally agree with Alan. It has so much Pirate swagger one could easily assume the holder of this blade has quite the peg-leg! :lol:

-Gabriel

Haha! I should name it "Emperor Meiji's Revenge," like Blackbeard's ship Queen Anne's Revenge. Or perhaps "The Swashbuckling Samurai!"

Excellent work Wesley.

Somebody will be lucky to get that one.

Thanks! And I forgot to include a pic of it attached to the belt (yarrrr!):

6TRoNR5.jpg?1

Love it. Seeing your posts on instagram made me realize I'd better get cracking :P

It was a fun one! I think my next knife will be a Japanese-style Bauernwehr. I just can't picture any of my knives without the take-apart feature anymore, it makes finishing so much easier.