Dan Rice

Plywood Handle

I made this leuku last week. The blade is just an old Lauri that I had laying around for years, but the handle material was a bit of an experiment. I think it was a success, will definitely try plywood on other knives. I'm starting to look around for some marine-grade scraps.

IMG_2531_zpsamtvcu7c.jpgIMG_2536_zpse72fxr8w.jpgIMG_2535_zpscwvvooaj.jpg

That definitly looks really neat! I have a bunch of old plywood that I believe is mahogany.... I just might have to do this with some of it!

Man, I was cringing when I clicked on this topic, afraid of what I might see :)

I think that turned out pretty neat, and it is definitely in line with the stacked birch style.

That is too cool! I really think that more expensive materials doesn't necessarily mean that it will look good. I saw a video of a guy who made a knife handle out of concrete. I really liked the rock variation! I wonder what other cheap, good-looking handle materials are out there... Used copy paper micarta? suspended sawdust? leaves? seeds? With epoxy and resins today, just about anything is possible.

That's something, I have never thought of. Looks good. I like it a lot. Well done, sir.

definitely have to try this at some point. I have some birch ply with much thinner layers lying around somewhere.

I really like the way that looks. At first glance it does look like stacked bark or leather. Great idea!

that is thinking outside the box. as already noted, it is cooler than stacked leather, and I guess a lot stronger. What a good result.

Saw that puppy on youtube. That is really cool. I like your leather work too.