Sign in to follow this  
jdsmith02115

"Fenris Seax" New WIP from AmeRRuss Blade Arts

Back in 2014 I did a multi-billet flux free demo down at Dragon's Breath Forge. Matt Parkinson and the gang were all there to yank my chain!
Came out of the weekend with a nice seax blade!
We're presenting it now as an almost completed WIP. Thanks Matt!

1150185_10153351186916389_7079396296545386697_n.jpg

1914908_10153351186711389_7758106293820212441_n.jpg

post-605-0-52371500-1416166204.jpg

post-605-0-87248000-1416166089.jpg

1483357_10153351186826389_6370071202886920016_n.jpg

12722595_10153352028111389_1385823704_o.jpg

Edited by jdsmith02115
  • Like 2

Wow! Very nice as usual.

The handle in particular is about the coolest I've ever seen. Almost like lines of topography on a map, but the handle is three dimensions so maybe more like a terraced mountain.

I have to ask though, are the fittings cast or carved?

Good Gods man!

Amazing work as usual!

-Gabriel

Wow! Very nice as usual.

The handle in particular is about the coolest I've ever seen. Almost like lines of topography on a map, but the handle is three dimensions so maybe more like a terraced mountain.

I have to ask though, are the fittings cast or carved?

Both methods are used!

Absolutely beautiful work! Learning this style of pattern welding is on my short list!

looks sick JD , I love the wolf, what is the material on the fittings ? silver?

• Like 1

looks sick JD , I love the wolf, what is the material on the fittings ? silver?

Yup. Silver; rubies for eyes.

Im not normally fond of seaxs... but this is pretty B.A.

Great job ..Wow ..Hats off on this one.

Edited by Raymond Luebke

Exceptional work and positively beautiful. I have two questions, if I may.

Did you say there was a WIP somewhere? (as in a pictorial series of the build)

Can we see a close up of the guard area?

Stunning! I have no doubt that I will some day be able to master the mechanics of pattern welding and bladesmithing. However I am afraid I will never come close to the artistic element you add to your creations, nor the sheer level of craftsmanship.

I love seeing your posts,but they always make me want to go home and take up needle-point instead...

Very, very impressive JD, really love the carving on the wood, What is the wood?

Ironwood.

I like it! The handle carving is especially outstanding. A good grip consistant texture and still some eye candy in the wood grain exposed. You kept your theme for the whole piece very well. I applaud your craftsmanship.

Please do not forget that AmeRRuss Blade Arts is a team of two. Joseph Shnayder must be cited as the man who comes up with these fanciful images and bold statements. We work well together!

AWESOME!!! Yeah, you and Joseph have produced some of the best pieces I've ever seen. Very inspirational and humbling all at once.

• Like 1

You gentlemen are true artists. Superior work!

Doug

teamwork is a good thing, most of the time. You two do very well together. Like everyone said, the wood carving is great. Is that a pattern welded pommel or peen block inside the silver that I saw (or underneath it?).

Excellent. I remember watching you do the dance of forging and twisting that blade.

It was a good time for all.

teamwork is a good thing, most of the time. You two do very well together. Like everyone said, the wood carving is great. Is that a pattern welded pommel or peen block inside the silver that I saw (or underneath it?).

Excellent. I remember watching you do the dance of forging and twisting that blade.

It was a good time for all.

How observant Kevin!!! Yes indeed, it is a W's patterned cap that tightens the whole construction together.

A brief anecdote on our friend, colleague, and member of the Jedi Council, JD:

While at the awesome hammer-in Matthew and colleagues provided for us, JD arrived and demonstrated flux-free welding. He did use flux for the welding together of the bars of the seax. He also fixed what would have been catastrophic cupping in the blade blank by bandsawing and getting a clean and flat edge to reweld and get past the cupping. Most of us would have lost the billet and started over at that point, but he saved it in a demonstration of skill and experience.

Now, the illuminating part -- we all asked JD what the pattern was in the edge bars. He honestly wasn't quite sure. He had asked his apprentice/student the day before to do something like, "Get a couple of interesting bars that I can use for the edge of a seax." Evidently, he had so much pattern welded steel just laying around, the student (regretfully, I don't remember her or his name) had a wide selection to choose from when packing his teacher's kit. The edge bar is beautiful, and I think it is crushed w's.

For me, I know pretty much exactly what pattern welded stock I have on hand at any point in time. I surely don't have beautiful stuff like that just laying around. Here is JD..."Oh, yeah, I don't remember exactly, but it is something cool." Nonchalant but certain. It w asn't that he did not care, of course. It was just that he apparently had enough good stuff on hand that there was considerable option available to his student. Also, he had a lot of faith in his student's ability to choose. Nonchalant but certain. Sort of like Jazz, only with steel.

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)
  • Like 1

Wow! This is soo cool, JD! I'm glad to see you working in the Anglo Saxon/Norse tradition, since now I can finally propose:

Nominated for a Fiery Beard. Do I have second?

Grins

Dave

Wow! This is soo cool, JD! I'm glad to see you working in the Anglo Saxon/Norse tradition, since now I can finally propose:

Nominated for a Fiery Beard. Do I have second?

Grins

Dave

Yeah Dave, It was "Ogun in the land of the Norsemen". I did it just to be eligible for that flaming goatee!