"Fenris Seax" New WIP from AmeRRuss Blade Arts

A brief anecdote on our friend, colleague, and member of the Jedi Council, JD:

While at the awesome hammer-in Matthew and colleagues provided for us, JD arrived and demonstrated flux-free welding. He did use flux for the welding together of the bars of the seax. He also fixed what would have been catastrophic cupping in the blade blank by bandsawing and getting a clean and flat edge to reweld and get past the cupping. Most of us would have lost the billet and started over at that point, but he saved it in a demonstration of skill and experience.

Now, the illuminating part -- we all asked JD what the pattern was in the edge bars. He honestly wasn't quite sure. He had asked his apprentice/student the day before to do something like, "Get a couple of interesting bars that I can use for the edge of a seax." Evidently, he had so much pattern welded steel just laying around, the student (regretfully, I don't remember her or his name) had a wide selection to choose from when packing his teacher's kit. The edge bar is beautiful, and I think it is crushed w's.

For me, I know pretty much exactly what pattern welded stock I have on hand at any point in time. I surely don't have beautiful stuff like that just laying around. Here is JD..."Oh, yeah, I don't remember exactly, but it is something cool." Nonchalant but certain. It w asn't that he did not care, of course. It was just that he apparently had enough good stuff on hand that there was considerable option available to his student. Also, he had a lot of faith in his student's ability to choose. Nonchalant but certain. Sort of like Jazz, only with steel.

Damn Kevin! You remember all that??? Were you taking the "minutes" for the occasion?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in 2014 I did a multi-billet flux free demo down at Dragon's Breath Forge. Matt Parkinson and the gang were all there to yank my chain! Came out of the weekend with a nice seax blade! We're prese

looks sick JD , I love the wolf, what is the material on the fittings ? silver?

AWESOME!!! Yeah, you and Joseph have produced some of the best pieces I've ever seen. Very inspirational and humbling all at once.

Posted Images

Wow! This is soo cool, JD! I'm glad to see you working in the Anglo Saxon/Norse tradition, since now I can finally propose:

Nominated for a Fiery Beard. Do I have second?

Grins

Dave

Seconded! Ogun would fit in just fine with the Norse pantheon.

I need to work on earning my own burning whiskers so i can second this, someone else get on it *pokes Matt and Alan and others* From the outside looking in, I smell somethin' burning =)

Wow! This is soo cool, JD! I'm glad to see you working in the Anglo Saxon/Norse tradition, since now I can finally propose:

Nominated for a Fiery Beard. Do I have second?

Grins

Dave

JD - it is a byproduct of being a Clinical Psychologist. I remember just about every conversation I ever have.

kc

Congratulations J.D.! Although it may be more than you know........maybe Salem Straub will interview you for the biography series next?

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=9482&page=44

How cool would that be?

JD, I took the liberty of doing a little Photoshoppin' to your avatar, what do you think? I did one with eyebrows and one without:

photo-thumb-605.jpg photo-thumb-606.jpg

You are of course free to design your own, working at an art school and so on it'd probably be better. ;) I just wanted to make it official! B)

edit: Joseph gets one too, since this is a collaboration. Ordinarily collaborations and non-traditional seaxes don't count, but you certainly fulfill the spirit of the rules (which are more like guidelines, anyway). Congratulations!

Edited by Alan Longmire

Awesome seax (love the Fenris face!) and definitely fiery-beard material. Keep the eyebrows, lol...

I am not sure if such a magnificent display of skill is an inspiration to a rookie as myself, or if it just scares me away from ever posting one of my own feeble attempts on making a knife again :)

That is truly a nice piece, well done.

I am not sure if such a magnificent display of skill is an inspiration to a rookie as myself, or if it just scares me away from ever posting one of my own feeble attempts on making a knife again :)

There is an enduring truth about this craft: No matter how masterful you become, you will always find pieces and makers that make you feel awed, humbled, and reminded of how much more there is still to learn.

This never ends. Use it as inspiration/aspiration, not frustration.

Luck in the quest.

Dave

• Like 1

There is an enduring truth about this craft: No matter how masterful you become, you will always find pieces and makers that make you feel awed, humbled, and reminded of how much more there is still to learn.

Luck in the quest.

Dave

yup ...

Yeah, we have all been there too. None of us would ever get any better without putting our work out there and asking for critique from those who are obviously better.

Bring it on Mikkel, there are no feeble attempts in this art. Everything takes work and sacrifice. We all know that too well. Enjoy the journey.

Luck in the quest.

Dave

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know....... :blink:

Seeing pieces like this Fenris Seax from J.D. just makes me want to try making this type of knife, even though I realize I'll get nowhere near this one.

J.D. Smith has forged a career in knife- making -...

www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/style/2016/02/16/smith-has-forged-career-knife-making/aJGpjWsDNLnds3AqISpXaO/story.html

Feb 17, 2016 ... J.D. Smith has forged a career at MassArt in knife-making ... technique of layering steel to create the mottled patterns that distinguish the style.

That was a great article on you JD. Too bad I live across the country and can't take classes under you.

Do you still play the trombone?

Thanks Wes! No, I'm retired as a musician, but I'm an inveterate Salsa dancer; danced pro and semi-pro for several years back in the early 2's

Great article! Now that I know you apprenticed under Jot Singh Khalsa a lot of things about your style have become clear. B)

Really...Like what? I see our styles as being not all that similar. I feel I've absorbed more from guys like Jimmy Fikes, Jimmy Schmidt and Don fogg

Not so much shape and form, more the sense of ornamentation and overall flow. I can see Don, Jimmy, and Jimmy in the blades, and Don in the grip carving for sure. Note that I am not implying your work is not distinctively yours! It's just I can see a bit of Jot Singh in your AmerRRuss flow, probably because of Joseph's gem settings. We are all the products of our teachers, after all. Influences are good things!

• Like 1

Thanks Wes! No, I'm retired as a musician, but I'm an inveterate Salsa dancer; danced pro and semi-pro for several years back in the early 2's

You seem to be quite the Renaissance Man JD. Cheers to you!