Jim Kelso

Ashokan Sword 2016

Hmmm... dunno if a big pot of bladesmith stew is on my to-do list. I know most of you guys, remember!

• Like 1

I am totally in for sweating ! what are european style trunks....budgie smugglers?

Holy she-nike!

I have not had a good sauna since I was 21!

20 years is too long ( I am sure my Finnish ancestors are shaking there heads).

I am in! But I will go clad ;) as I don't know you guys too well :lol:

-Gabriel

Shall I bring the Finlandia vodka?

Its an AMAZING sauna, with a river fed cold shower on the deck outside.
European trunks up to this point have been....no trunks.

I am totally in for sweating ! what are european style trunks....budgie smugglers?

Euro trunks = no trunks

I will be American style, draped in an American flag with American flag shorts with a bald eagle on my shoulder also wearing American flag shorts.

I got conformation last night from Dan that i will be doing a short forging intro class during open forge time, it looks like if will be by sign up and limited to 4 people, if there is enough interest I may do it both nights, or do two sessions on sat, sort of a play it by ear thing.

I will also have tongs for sale as well as Rockwell chisels and bunch other stuff to tailgate.

Hoping to have a single edged viking sword finished up, I started on the inlay yesterday, but I have a bunch of other stuff that needs doing, and am away this weekend so...

If you guys are interested Ill bring a Bader B2 for sale. We are not using it having mostly Spacesavers.

It is a dual speed 3 phase but could take a VFD to make it single phase, Im sure Doug can walk you through what it takes to make the change.

(sorry MP, it is a sander, not a hammer!)

Sam are you bringing the double monkeytail tongs for holding blade stock? I want a couple of you are.

I'll drag along with me a nice propane forge body, newly relined, great for welding, an atlas 618 lathe with new 4jaw chuck + full set of change gears for threading, a big stake anvil, and some other stuff for sale =)

Sam are you bringing the double monkeytail tongs for holding blade stock? I want a couple of you are.

Owen, that appears to be my job this year.

Sam helped me set up tong production this year.

I will have 3 sizes of the Monkey Tail tong as you call it.

Great name for them, much better than Z tong.

I will also have pickups, and some eye tongs and a few bloom tongs.

I have trained JJ to make these tongs now, as I can't keep up. They are as good as when I made them!

Great!
Perhaps I will be in luck and return home with a brand new pair of tongs, or two :-)

• Like 1

I see I may have to make some hard choices on just what I can bring back in my checked luggage! I had hoped to bring something for show and tell but I've been thrown some curveballs lately including a hurricane and a routine visit to the doctor this week revealing I have dangerously high blood pressure (which explains some things about me lately). Hopefully I can have this under control by next Friday as I do not want to miss this Ashokan!

I haven't swung a hammer to make a knife in many, many moons, but I can't stay away from Ashokan any longer. There are just too many folks I've missed for far too long, and recent events have pointed out just how important making time - especially for things like this - is.

I'm going to do my best to capture the spirit of the event through photographs of the presenters and attendees. It will be great to see old friends, and with any luck, make some new ones.

See all of you in a few days.

• Like 1

I haven't swung a hammer to make a knife in many, many moons, but I can't stay away from Ashokan any longer. There are just too many folks I've missed for far too long, and recent events have pointed out just how important making time - especially for things like this - is.

I'm going to do my best to capture the spirit of the event through photographs of the presenters and attendees. It will be great to see old friends, and with any luck, make some new ones.

See all of you in a few days.

Glad to hear you'll be making it this year Matt! I was going to call this evening and ask, now I have to find something else to mess with you about! :-D

off on a plane today.....NY then on to ashokan.

• Like 1

I'll be making another puck or 2 Wednesday. Along with the event as a whole and meeting everyone for the first time I'm looking forward to open forge time very much!

I am bringing my tent, and just camping there. Anyone who doesn't snore that need to crash in the tent is welcomed. You can't sleep on my air mattress with me though (unless you are beautiful female deaf mute, who is also blind). Then, maybe. But, my wife would have to say its ok.

I am bringing a jian that i am not allowed to show on the net, so this will be the only time anyone can see it (for better or worse, it is an unmounted blade that is 95% finished).

This customer wants a truly one-of-a-kind. His money, so I do what he asks.

See y'all there.

Dave - will miss you buddy. Chris, I don't drink any more, so I will meditate somewhere beautiful in the forest or on the hill for you.

I grew up in a sauna, we called it Houston.

I can't believe I'm writing this: Last week I unknowingly thrashed through some wild parsnip (Pastinica sativa) The next day I thought I had some poison ivy rash and it took a couple more days to figure out it was the parsnip. Symptoms kept worsening through Monday 12th. I’ll let the photos tell their story. Treatment is for 2nd degree burns and Prednisone makes me more susceptible to infection. Should be significantly better in another week.

I’ve gone back and forth constantly the last few days on whether I could come. Today was decision time and I can’t see how it’s possible. Jul had kindly offered to drive Jean and I down, but the treatment regimen is so demanding and I can’t risk another level of trauma due to infection.

I am gutted by this as I’ve been looking forward to it since 2012 when Danny mentioned the idea. I feel let-down and miserable to miss seeing old friends and meeting many new ones, some of whom have become friends here but never met.

Sorry for the graphic nature of the pics, but they should serve as cautionary of this plant which does seem to be wide-spread in field margins and roadsides. I made contact with the mostly brown, seeding plants. Please inform your kids...

BTW if you think I look bad you should see the parsnip!

Some links for more info:

http://www.nyis.info/index.php?action=invasive_detail&id=61

http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/html/stories/1999/jun99/parsnip.htm

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

Edited by Jim Kelso

Ooh, Jim! Not good, not good at all. Just be glad you didn't get it in an eye, it usually results in permanent blindness. Take care of yourself, sir! I am sorry you can't make it, and sorrier that is why. Heal up soon!