Ashokan Sword 2016

And one last announcement: During the event, a quorum of the Grand High Council of Fiery Beards consisting of myself, Matt Parkinson, Jake Powning, Júl, and Peter Johnsson personally bestowed the Fiery Beard upon Justin Mercier for services rendered in the furtherance of wolf-tooth spearhead manufacture and general fiery-beardedness. No pic of that, but congratulations are in order! Justin, you know what to do, or send me a pic and I'll do it. B)

• Like 2
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... I'm in too. See you guys there.

And one last announcement: During the event, a quorum of the Grand High Council of Fiery Beards consisting of myself, Matt Parkinson, Jake Powning, Júl, and Peter Johnsson personally bestowed the Fier

Hmmm... dunno if a big pot of bladesmith stew is on my to-do list. I know most of you guys, remember!

Posted Images

Great pictures Alan! My smart phone pictures hardly do anything/anyone justice, it will teach me to bring an actual camera from now on. Peter always looks like at any given moment he is having the best time of his life, one of the things I really like about him.

And one last announcement: During the event, a quorum of the Grand High Council of Fiery Beards consisting of myself, Matt Parkinson, Jake Powning, Júl, and Peter Johnsson personally bestowed the Fiery Beard upon Justin Mercier for services rendered in the furtherance of wolf-tooth spearhead manufacture and general fiery-beardedness. No pic of that, but congratulations are in order! Justin, you know what to do, or send me a pic and I'll do it. B)

Saturday was one of the most humbling and enjoyable days in my memory, ever. Between this and then being approached by Kevin and being asked if I would be willing to put together a demonstration / talk about deconstructing and reconstructing wolf-tooth pattern from historic examples as a potential talk/demo for a future Ashokan seminar I think I spent saturday night and all day sunday with a ginormous smile on my face and a dazed look in my eyes. I certainly dont feel worthy to present at such an auspicious event, but whenever Kevin and Tim want me to do so, I would be honored to bring my whole collection of spear artifacts, dig out the pile of failed experiments and put together a lot of info and a demo.

I never did post the 20 or so attempts at a historically matching wolfs-tooth that failed utterly or just looked wrong, I think some of them still exist in a pile in the back of my shop. Emilliano was at my shop helping the day I finally got the pattern to match, and in the end it was so simple that it felt like it should have just been obvious.

I have no photo editing software on my computer Alan, but Matt Gregory just sent me this photo he took of me over the weekend at Ashokan.

http://www.tharkis.com/images/temp/justinByMattGregory.jpg

Wow, Justin - I'm honored that you'd select THAT photo, and even more wish I'd nailed that shot better! Alan, or whoever is going to do the editing for the addition of the flames, if you'd prefer a full size render of that, or even a different format, I've got the original in RAW, so it can be anything and any size you wish, of it will make it easier.

Great meeting all of you, gang - and great catching up with some old friends, too. Sorry I was so out of sorts, but life has a way...

Saturday was one of the most humbling and enjoyable days in my memory, ever. Between this and then being approached by Kevin and being asked if I would be willing to put together a demonstration / talk about deconstructing and reconstructing wolf-tooth pattern from historic examples as a potential talk/demo for a future Ashokan seminar I think I spent saturday night and all day sunday with a ginormous smile on my face and a dazed look in my eyes. I certainly dont feel worthy to present at such an auspicious event, but whenever Kevin and Tim want me to do so, I would be honored to bring my whole collection of spear artifacts, dig out the pile of failed experiments and put together a lot of info and a demo.

I never did post the 20 or so attempts at a historically matching wolfs-tooth that failed utterly or just looked wrong, I think some of them still exist in a pile in the back of my shop. Emilliano was at my shop helping the day I finally got the pattern to match, and in the end it was so simple that it felt like it should have just been obvious.

I have no photo editing software on my computer Alan, but Matt Gregory just sent me this photo he took of me over the weekend at Ashokan.

http://www.tharkis.com/images/temp/justinByMattGregory.jpg

Thanks, Matt, but for beardings I actually prefer small low-res .jpg images. I'm not good enough to do a large-scale one, I just try to make it look decent in thumbnail size... this time I may try it with the larger images, since both Justin and I got some good sparky fire images during the hearth melt. We shall see later today!

I'm honored that my hearth fire may be the flames for Justin's beard! Well deserved indeed!

And Alan, thanks for those photos they are great! I especially like the photo around the hearth and the photo of Jesus looking devious!