Sign in to follow this  
R.W. Deavers

D Guard Bowie

A little while back, a good friend asked me to make a saber. The design of the saber was based from combining a Confederate artillery saber with a Spartan sword. After it was finished, he decided he wanted a companion piece for it. He had always been a fan of Jim Bowie. What you see here is the result. The full tang blade was forged out of a leaf spring, and the D guard is brass. The handle scales are slightly charred walnut. The overall length of this knife is 16" with 10 3/4" long blade.

bowie finished.JPG

i like this one a lot.. Im a fan of D guards in general-- also liked your approach to the clip

• Like 1

Thanks Gabriel. With the design like this, It took some time fitting the guard and the scales. Sure, it was tedious, but it was worth it.

I'm not a fan of D-guard bowies but the quality of your works comes through. Good visual balance and fit and finish. Did you cast the guard of did you forge it.

Doug

Thanks guys. Doug, the guard was made from 3/8" thick brass bar. Some precise material removal happened here. I'd say I had about 8 hours total just working on the guard, and half of that was fine-tuning for a correct fit.

Looks quite sturdy and robust!

The blade has a thickness of 3/16", but with the blade bevel and false edge bevel mixed with the full tang and brass guard, the center of gravity is about a half inch or so in front of the guard.

That looks great R.W.

I'm really curious about the pommel end and how you finished it.

The pommel... Okay, the end of the brass flat bar I used was notched out to fit the tang. I then drilled a hole through the guard to match up the one I drilled in the tang. Once the fit was nice and snug, I drove a pin in to secure everything. During the design of the guard in this style, a spring effect was incorporated. The spring effect helps keep the wood scales tight and to reduce any rattling that might occur. Here's a diagram:

d guard pommel assembly.bmp

Edited by R.W. Deavers
  • Like 1

Nice!

Thanks for the arrow.......

Always had a soft spot for the D-guard.

I am going to make a knife/short sword with a blade and D-guard a lot like that some day (the ancestor of butterfly swords was like that but longer and a little pointer).

This one seems just right. I was worried it might have been too thick for my tastes (as if that matters).But, 3/16 is perfect for something like ths, in my humble opinion. So, if my opinion matters, that is a cool piece.

kc

• Like 1