Sign in to follow this  
R.W. Deavers

Straight Razors

I have a question for you all. I have some finished straight razor blades without handles as I am completely undecided on handle materials. I had the Victorian time period in mind on the middle blade, but the other two, I'm not too sure on. Any suggestions are welcome.

finished blade collection.JPG

The bottom one has sort of a steam punk vibe to it. I'd go with something that could use nickel and copper accents

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Like 1

Great razors! I especially like the top one. Have you checked out Dylan Farnham's work? One of my favorite razor maker's, and very creative. You might get some inspiration from his work.

At Sage Blades? Yeah, I have them bookmarked as well as Jacob Ray Razors. Both have some impressive work. Dylan Farnham's blades have a more organic feel and style, which I think is pretty cool.

At Sage Blades

That's the one. As I look at your razors again, I kind of think the middle one would look good with carbon fiber scales. I know you said victorian, but the blade has such clean lines I think it might work. Maybe with a red wedge. Or maybe that's too much

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the input. The bottom blade is now completed and a new thread is started under Show and Tell. Now, over time, to come up with handles for the other two...hmmm...

heck i have a str8 that i never finished because i didnt know what hardware to purchase--- and just realized its still sitting there :(

I dont personally like dymondwood but that bottom one might look wicked cool in it if you textured those handle scales

Gabriel, I was thinking about that last night, but I thought the grain in the wood was too clean and didn't really want to distract from that. If the grain would have been more wavy, I might have done some texturing. About other blades laying around, I still have two more ready for handles, but no real direction yet...

sorry for the half awake response- that was the suggestion for the bottom straight razor- it looks like the wacky colors in dymondwood and the texturing would work well together

Gabriel, I had an idea but wasn't exactly sure what you were talking about with the dymond wood, but after being reminded, that material has got to be one of my least favorites. I have more ideas for razors floating around in my head, and I think I may go full steam punk next. I just have to get a few other projects done first though.