This is my latest knife. It's is close to completion, the handle needs a little more attention but almost done! It is an 8" chef knife. The damascus is comprised of 1095,15N20, and nickel. I'd love to hear and criticism or things worth taking into account as I am still a newbie and desire to learn all I can. Any tips and pointers are more than welcome! Also if anyone recognizes what wood that is I would be appreciative. I got a huge load of handle material a knife maker dropped by a consignment store that I got an excellent deal on, however hardly any of them were labeled. Thanks for lookin'!image.jpegtrim.CC2F852E-859C-49E7-9599-4A4807DE85D4.MOV

Beautiful! Really looks very nice, I love that damascus. My only critique would be that chefs typically hold knives with a pinch grip, so pinching the blade with the thumb and index finger and holding the handle with the other three fingers. I only mention it because it leaves the hand "choked up" on the handle as it were and palm swells and finger choils don't usually end up lining up with the hand during actual use. For this reason I have come to prefer the Japanese "Wa" style handles.

That said, many makers still use a contoured handle as do most all commercially produced kitchen knives, so just something to consider.

That is a fantastic piece of redwood by the way.

• Like 1

That knife is fantastic!

The only thing I would change is the heel of the handle.
I would bring the angle from top to bottom inward.
So the top of the handle is longer.
Its just and aesthetic thing.
Either way that knife is beautiful.

• Like 1

That knife is fantastic!

The only thing I would change is the heel of the handle.

I would bring the angle from top to bottom inward.

So the top of the handle is longer.

Its just and aesthetic thing.

Either way that knife is beautiful.

Thanks JJ! You pointed out my biggest bother with this knife though! Haha it was a last minute decision at the grinder. Lesson learned: Stick to the design!!!!

Take it back to the grinder and adjust it.
The handle can be shorter. Like it was stated above.
Most chefs use a pinch grip, Kitchen knives can have shorter handles than your standard camp, fighter, hunter etc. knife of the same size.

• Like 1

beautiful knife. My only constructive thoughts are, beware of shortening the handle too far and pushing the balance of the knife further up into the blade the closer to the junction of handle and blade you are the easier it will be to use the knife in the kitchen. Also I would look at the edge of the copper faceplate that sits above the spine. That sharp angle will begin to wear into the heel of your hand after long use in a pinch grip. Bringing that down flush with the spine (or atleast a smooth radious) will provide a smoother transfer from handle to blade, and feel much more comfortable three to four hours in.

Great wood grain on that handle!