Alveprins

Filework - Does this look finished to you? ...

I started off wanting a rope pattern down the entire length of the spine, however at cut #3 I got the spacing all wrong - and it got all screwed up.

Now, I read someone's signature here on the forum saying "a mistake is also a pattern, if repeated" - or something along those lines - so I filed my mistake down square, and repeated that until I had filed 3 flat and "boxy" grooves into the spine. I then started making rope pattern inside of those.

My question though, is as following: Does this look unfinished to you guys? I mean - at this point I am considering keeping those "raised" flats as they are, with the rope filework in the lower regions only. then again - perhaps I should make some other, or the same but oposing pattern on the higher flat ridges?

Pics:

filework 001.jpg

filework 002.jpg

filework 003.jpg

Any thoughts? I am quite eager to get this one hardened so I can start working on the handle. There is a change it will come out all cracked after the hardening - seeing as another knife made from the same billet did. Needless to say, I am not too eager to put an extensive amount of time into the filework. :P

Any input is as always greatly apreciated! :lol:

Sincerely, Alveprins.

what if you rounded the corners off to connect the two? i think that would look loads better... but.... im not good at this artsy sorta thing so perhaps dont listen to me lol

I like your rope cuts, but I don't much like the big fat between them. What if you did more rope, but running the other direction?

Geoff

I like your rope cuts, but I don't much like the big fat between them. What if you did more rope, but running the other direction?

Geoff

Yeah, I've thought about the same thing... Three rope cuts in the oposite direction on top of the ridges.

Or maybe just straight across, instead of at an angle..

what if you rounded the corners off to connect the two? i think that would look loads better... but.... im not good at this artsy sorta thing so perhaps dont listen to me lol

I've considered that. Didn't look too pretty in my "mind's eye" hehe ;)

I am going to have to agree with Geoff on this one. The flats take away from it

Alright... so - I went with oposite rope pattern for the flats....

Step 1 - make oposite rope on the flats:

filework b 001.jpg

Yeah - doesn't look too good...

Step 2 - file down the remaining flats inbetween the oposite ropes:

filework b 002.jpg

Uhm, yeah... not really much better...

Step 3 - file down those flats further - making them even with the bottom of the ropes:

filework b 003.jpg

Ehm... where is the "undo" button again? Damn - why can't this be photoshop?

So this is what I am currently stuck with:

filework b 004.jpg

filework b 005.jpg

Aside from sawing it in half - I don't see how I can do any worse at this point... :blink:

It actually doesn't look terrible; at least not as bad as you think. Yes, not everything is even, but it looks a hell of a lot better than having those high flats. I am sure you learned a lot from this experience :) I think the knife is worth finishing though.

It actually doesn't look terrible; at least not as bad as you think. Yes, not everything is even, but it looks a hell of a lot better than having those high flats. I am sure you learned a lot from this experience :) I think the knife is worth finishing though.

I suppose...

I wonder though.. Would I be able to even things out inbetween the ropes? Maybe round off the spine ever so slightly - making the shape a bit more uniform...

I like it and hope that you finish it all the way.

Alright Mr. Schaffer and dragoncutlery - I'll try to clean up some of the lines (or lack thereof) and finish it. :lol:

If you want another opinion, here goes.

I think you have pulled a rabbit out of the hat , so to speak. That last pic actually looks pretty good. There is only one thing left to do to make it all work out. Look at the last pic again. That high flat spot by the thumb is OK. Leave that alone. The high flat spot up at the point is not. It looks like you forgot to do something there. Round that part off to match the rounds between the rope work and Get that puppy into HT.

...That high flat spot by the thumb is OK. Leave that alone. The high flat spot up at the point is not. It looks like you forgot to do something there. Round that part off to match the rounds between the rope work...

Aww man... and I had the thing all clayed and wired up and everything. I was about to go down and quench this bastard as I read your message... :P

Alright - you make a strong point. Not only does it "look" like I forgot something... I did forget something... :lol:

How about now:

filework c 001.jpg

filework c 002.jpg

Gonna head into the kitchen to clay it up again. Won't be able to quench until tomorrow afternoon after work though....

Update:

I've quenched and annealed the blade. HRC is around 62, and there is no apparent warpage.

I've continued to the polishing step, and I've buffed up the spine to get a better look at it:

knife spine.jpg

I guess its not so bad... ^_^

I still wish I didnt screw up my 3'rd rope cut though... man - it would have been so nice with a tight rope pattern down the spine...

Oh well - maybe the next one. :lol:

Update:

I've quenched and annealed the blade. HRC is around 62, and there is no apparent warpage.

I've continued to the polishing step, and I've buffed up the spine to get a better look at it:

I guess its not so bad... ^_^

I still wish I didnt screw up my 3'rd rope cut though... man - it would have been so nice with a tight rope pattern down the spine...

Oh well - maybe the next one. :lol:

I think you did a commendable job of saving it. It looks nice, especially after you buffed it out. Nice work!

I would agree with Wes, it looks really nice! I mean, as the maker I can understand your frustration :P But to an outside viewer who didn't even know, I think they never would ;)

I would agree with Wes, it looks really nice! I mean, as the maker I can understand your frustration :P But to an outside viewer who didn't even know, I think they never would ;)

I suppose you're right...

Ok, I'll break out the expensive materials for this one... Fossil mammoth, sterling silver - and some bright white camel bone plates... Not looking forward to drilling and filing out all those square holes for the tang though.... :unsure: haha! :lol: