I made the blade a little while ago with a design in mind. As most projects go, during the build, the design goal became somewhat blurred and some aspects went in different directions, which got me off track for the handle design. I want to thank everyone on the Design and Critique section for their suggestions. Finally, this started to take form. The scales are made from a piece of old old butcher's block, the spacer is formed from copper plate, the pins are brazing rod, and the washers are cut from copper sheet. Now, I can breathe a sigh of relief with this one completed.

Elizabeth finished.JPG

Excellent, excellent. I have a old relative who collected knives, pocket watches and razors. A real joy to handle these razors time to time. Most are Solingen, Sheffiled and US. I like your use of materials. I priced domed washers (found used on some razors) for a project before and not cheap!

Gary LT

Never made a razor but love watching videos of people making them. That looks cool. I am intimidated by the thought of making one.

great outcome. Design change can be good.

In the past, I have tried using a flap wheel on a grinder and a drum sanding wheel on a Dremel, but they never came out clean enough. About the only thing I can suggest is very time consuming and that is using sand paper on a dowel rod or something close. I'm sure there are other ways, but for now, that's what I came up with.

There is a video somewhere of a guy with two grinding wheels rotating opposite directions and butted up almost together. They both rotate "up" where the wheels converge and the guy just runs the blade back and forth holding it edge down until he has a nice symmetrical hollow grind. I always thought It was a nice trick, for any hollow grind really but razors especially.

Really nice work by the way. I have tried to make one a couple times but never could quite swing it

Edited by Kenon Rain.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, while I'm still on the subject of straight razors, I have had this idea kicking around in my head for a while, so I decided to just get it done. Here is the progress I have so far for the Steampunk straight razor. The blade still needs to be tempered, then aged. After that, I get to set the rivets then tarnish the copper and brass. I have an idea or two on paper right now for the handle, but I'm still gathering parts.

steampunk progress 1.JPG