Damascus Rings WIP/Tutorial

This is really great Robert thanks.

Etch in FeCl?

Oh yeah, I haven't seen a steam heat radiator in decades! Wow that brings back memories......

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those wondering here is what a low layer ring can look like, all patterns are beautiful  

Steve, that's one sexy ring!

Gabriel, I use the high temp silver solder and handy flux plus map torch.

Posted Images

I seen this tutorial on YouTube a few weeks ago but forgot about it.

what tutorial!? link please?

Robert, Any suggestions on a nice simple hand hammer pattern to try for my first ring? I ordered a 1/2" x 12" 18 ga 925 liner so im guessing thats enough for a ring. So stoked! I need some dang modeling clay to wrap my head around how the pattern will come out. I imagine a low layer count twist would not look too hot...?

Here is another tutorial by my buddy Craig at Barefoot Forge on how he makes his. As far as I know they are the only ones out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHCfD4mWkDc

Gabriel, I wouldn't go higher layer on a ring as it get's very difficult to discern the pattern from a distance. Something like a 20 layer twist (a very tight twist) looks beautiful.

about the silver brazing, somehow i dont think i ordered enough i only have like 3 inches. Whats the best method? any handy flux and mapp gas? or will anything else work?

Chips vs wire?

Edited by Gabriel James

Would it take a lot of work to melt down the required silver out of previous jewelry like silver necklaces? What would you be looking at for material loss and weaknesses from the process?

Would it take a lot of work to melt down the required silver out of previous jewelry like silver necklaces? What would you be looking at for material loss and weaknesses from the process?

Probably not, i just melted a ring on accident with a map gas burner :(

I dont personally know the guy, but i know of a guy in my area who specializes in 3d printed molds and making custom casted rings.... i assume he makes decent money doing so. (also has contracts with jewlers ive heard)

i got my handy flux in today and wound up with 5 useable rings.... maybe? I brazed them and cleaned up the solder joints. 3/5 of them look pretty good. It would have been wise to use some anti oxidation compound of some kind? but nevertheless heres what i have so far. I need to just finish welding up my 24 layer twist billet and draw out to shape!

13073217_10153372440550146_304436066_o.jpg

the 2 kinds of solder i ordered werent what i thought i was ordering-- doh but nevertheless it worked. I had 22 gauge hard solder wire and what i thought was going to be solder pieces the size of a pencil lead..... well they are shavings..!@ I laid 2 lengths of wire and sprinkling of some shavings and after the first one seemed to braze up fairly easily...! Im stoked!

13073154_10153372998200146_1618018737_o.jpg

got my damascus finally welded up and drawn out- I think i needed just a smidge more width. Thinking about drilling a 1/4" pilot hole then drifting slightly to make sure i have enough room to craft the ring

24 layer twist.

well i looked and looked for when to HT never saw it? im scared as hell to heat treat this tiny ring. post pics as soon as it gets out of the acid bath. I guess i could pull it out and map gas and quench it... what are the odds that it shatters? That scares me lol.

Ive spent all day on this 1 summagun. theres more work involved than i thought there would be.

because hardened steel etches darker for a higher contrast im guessing? outside of that i have no clue

Edited by Gabriel James

This is awesome thanks for showing this. I think I would like to give it a go. Where is a good place to order the silver from? I have never bought any precious metals before like this.

Edited by Travis13

online jewelry house = http://riogrande.com/

thats where i got all my stuff. The first ring out of my batch came out wicked thin after i made some booboos. The compression fitting is a real booger. After finally getting it fit in- during grinding the ring profile the vibrating of the rotating ring on my mandrel dislodged it. So i got mad and took it over and brazed the whole thing in place. Got some areas ill try to fix in my next attempt. One of the biggest hassles I had was actually getting the ring to drive thru straight-- going to try some different things and see if i can improve. The rings tiny i cant get a better pic but here it is.

3.43mm wide size 8.5

my sides need to be cleaned up still and buffing the silver ... havnt decided how to do that just yet.

13113308_10153374577255146_135996272_o.jpg

Edited by Gabriel James

So the purpose of heat treating the ring is a) to make the steel have more contrast and B) to create added toughness. Your ring looks good Gabriel, my first one came out on the thin side as well, just part of the learning curve. Fitting the silver can be a touch tricky until you get used to it. :)

Are there any concerns with heat treating after the silver is in? Doesn't the solder and silver melt below critical temp before quenching? Or am I overthinking...?

silver melts at 1700~ I just Ht treated with the silver in there... and besides discoloring the silver a little because i dont have an oxidation prevention it turned out ok... i think?