Here is my latest spear experiment. The shape and dimensions follow the Helsinki spear reasonably close.

Unfortunately, I have only cell phone pictures:

IMG_20160328_181432-small.jpg

IMG_20160328_181438-small.jpg

IMG_20160328_181445-small.jpg

IMG_20160328_181423-small.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Niels.

Ps: I'll take some better pictures later.

• Like 2

What I think is... damn! I need to get out in the shop more and work on spears =D Once I finish this sword (see my other thread) making some wolfstooth spears is first thing on my list. Spent all last spring figuring out how to get the teeth to match my collection of originals.. and I haven't made a damn thing using it since then!

Wicked awesome Niels!

I second the exclamation! Wow great symmetry between these bars and teeth.

Gary LT

Thanks for all the feedback.

Fantastic! What's that in the center; wrought iron?

Yes, the core is wrought iron from old wagon tires - not refined. Since this was just an experiment I did not spent the time to refine or carburize iron.

that is a fine spear. That weld flaw isn't too bad, after all, I am guessing they would have been found on a lot of originals. I mean, why in the hell would you throw away a good, and beautiful spear, just because of that?

I love the stuff you make. I also have really enjoyed your videos.

thanks for sharing so much.

kc

Overall length is about 16in. The spear head/blade is ~9 1/4in and the socket gets the rest. Socket diameter at the opening is about 1in. Width of the blade is sightly larger than 2in. I am making another one and will also be taking some video of the process.

Tony and I spent the last four days making another Wolf's Tooth Spear and this time video documented the whole process, e.g. consolidating wrought, forging it in plate, rolling it up into socket, forge welding, etc. There is still some forging left but it's pretty close to grinding and heat treating:

spear_small.jpg

Video is probably going to take a couple of months to edit