Wesley Alberson

Completed KITH 2016 Picture Thread

This is my finished KITH.
I made 3 blades. One I destroyed in grinding.
One I feel is too short but will be included in the the shipped package to whoever gets my knife.
And this one.
Which is a rasp forged and antique finished with a hamon.
The guard is mild steel and the spacer is copper flashing.
The handle is home made burlap micarta.
I got the burlap at the hobby shop.
I hope that is acceptable.
My hands make it look small but the actual size is 1' the blade is 7.25"

kith1.JPG

kith2.JPG

kith3.jpg

kith4.jpg

Nice knife! I really like the antique look it has! Man.... that thing does look teenie in your hands though xD

Yeah, its terrible I went bowling yesterday and there was only one ball I could fit my thumb in.

Of course to me my hand just looks normal.

Man, there are some beautiful knives in this KITH.

I feelthe very same way! I can't wait to find out who I get to send mine to! I care more about someone else getting mine actually than getting one myself :P

• Like 2

Yeah, its terrible I went bowling yesterday and there was only one ball I could fit my thumb in.

Of course to me my hand just looks normal.

My first commission was for a man with massive hands, because of that he wanted a massive knife, a 10 inch Bowie and the handle was nearly a hand and a half for me.
  • Like 1

Connor a standard handle works for me, around 5" but in photos, everything looks tiny in my hands.

Connor a standard handle works for me, around 5" but in photos, everything looks tiny in my hands.

As long as you never start walking around muttering "Hodor"..............

• Like 1

As long as you never start walking around muttering "Hodor"..............

IDK if you've read the books but that was a lazy plot twist in the show.

What a bummer.

What a bummer.

Thank you for this. I was the only one in the room who felt that way

• Like 1

finished.JPG

The blade is about 9 3/4", OAL is ~14 1/2"

The plywood was a big struggle, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. Right now it feels like I'm going to have to oil the handle every five minutes until I send it off though <_<

• Like 1

Whoah :D. That looks almost like mammoth tooth

Nice job Aiden! That came out really well. Congrats on completing the KITH!

What a bummer.

I have read the books, and I have watched all of the show except the current season. We don't have cable, or satellite, so I have to wait until the DVD set comes out. If you read the books, you know who Jon Snow's real mother is, and it isn't Leanna Stark.

But let's not hijack the thread!

• Like 1

attachicon.giffinished.JPG

The blade is about 9 3/4", OAL is ~14 1/2"

The plywood was a big struggle, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. Right now it feels like I'm going to have to oil the handle every five minutes until I send it off though <_<

That's bad ass, you could super glue the whole handle and polish it.

You wouldn't need to oil after that.

Look up super glue finish in google.

Nice job Aiden! That came out really well. Congrats on completing the KITH!

I have read the books, and I have watched all of the show except the current season. We don't have cable, or satellite, so I have to wait until the DVD set comes out. If you read the books, you know who Jon Snow's real mother is, and it isn't Leanna Stark.

But let's not hijack the thread!

hahahahaha. No hijacking!!!!!

Oh! It's a game of Thrones thing. No wonder I didn't get the reference...

I love the knife Aiden. I've seen a couple of these plywood handles lately, and they have a lot of charm.

IMG_20160705_200710523_HDR_zpsmcbdyjoa.j

I hope you guys approve. It would suck to be the guy who proposed this and get booted out or worse... not even finish. :(

-Gabriel

• Like 2

Looks great Gabriel, glad you could finish! I like the look of the rivets on the handle.

Thanks for the kind words about the knife, I'm glad you all seem to like it since one of you is going to end up with it. It does kind of look like mammoth tooth, that's an interesting observation.

The super glue finish is a good idea, but I already had applied a good bit of oil to the handle so I don't think it would stick very well. I'll oil it a few more times before I send it off and might advise the recipient to do the same every once in a while.

The super glue finish is a good idea, but I already had applied a good bit of oil to the handle so I don't think it would stick very well. I'll oil it a few more times before I send it off and might advise the recipient to do the same every once in a while.

For future reference, Danish Oil soaks in a bit and hardens. Lasts longer than other oils I think.

Gabriel: That looks smokin' Glad you could finish. Someone will love that.

Aiden, Thanks!

Those rivets are carpet tacks!

Joshua, once again... thank you for the kind words.

-Gabriel

This is my first, honest-to-God peened handle. I have also decided I hate double edged blades (also a key indicator I need to make more of them). Much to improve on for next time on all fronts.

Blade is a Stanley Wonderbar, cross guard and butt are mild steel/crescent wrench and the handle is alternating layers of premium bamboo flooring samples and 1/4" oak plank.

20160706_184356.jpg

20160706_184343.jpg

20160706_184323.jpg

• Like 1

I've done a couple of plywood handles. On the first one I used Danish oil. I kept applying it for ages because the plywood is so absorbent. It took a long time to dry and was kind of smelly. It still never built up enough on the surface to take a shine. On the second knife, I used some Helmsman spar urethane, which worked great. I plan to try it on a stacked leather handle next. I like Danish oil for solid wood, but I think less dense materials need a less penetrating finish. Super glue sounds like a good idea too, but I've never tried it.

with only 45 minutes to spare on the extended deadline, I am DONE!!!!!!!

8 inch blade.

Damascus fittings ( File and miter saw blade )
Hickory handle ( Cheap harbor freight Hammer handle )

Leaf spring ( blade attempt #2 ) Suspected and treated as 5160

20160707_230242.jpg

20160707_230300.jpg

Its not by any means perfect, I am contemplating attempting to ship a consolation prize of a 6 pack of local utah brewery beer along with it since I was so rushed to finish after my first blade attempt broke as a form of apology for how I feel about how this turned out,