According to the Örvar-Odds saga, Hafgufa was the mother of all sea monsters and fed on whales, ships, men, and anything it could catch. Hafgufa was said to have lived underwater, and when the tide was low at night, her nose and head would rise out of the water. The only physical description provided in the saga is the nose sticking out of the water, which was mistaken for two massive rocks rising from the sea.

Source: Wikipedia

Blade: 5.625″ Wrought Iron Spine, 1095/15N20 Twist, 1095 Edge

This blade was forged to feel like a sea creature. The middle bar is oddly twisted to look like tentacles reaching out through the tides of the ocean just under the surface of the sea, which is represented by rippled wrought iron. The point of the blade is structured to feel like the side profile of a ship with a gentle curve upward to a stable deck.

Handle: 4.25″ Wrought Iron, Extinct Sea Cow Rib Bone, Copper Pin

The handle is hand carved from extinct sea cow bone. The carving is of kraken tentacles reaching upward and grasping at the copper pin, which much like a sail on a ship is the main element that can rip the piece apart. The guard is also wrought iron and has the word, “Kraken” carved into in on both sides in runes.

Overall: 10″

Spine: .125″ through break

POB: center of the guard

Check my ETSY store for availability.

tumblr_o4zh1p946B1qz9mvno3_540.jpg

tumblr_o4zh1p946B1qz9mvno2_540.jpg

tumblr_o4zh1p946B1qz9mvno6_540.jpg

tumblr_o4zh1p946B1qz9mvno8_540.jpg

tumblr_o4zh1p946B1qz9mvno10_540.jpg

tumblr_o4zh1p946B1qz9mvno9_540.jpg

Check out the build pics here: http://rashystreakers.tumblr.com/tagged/kraken%20seax

Really nice and thanks for the WIP photo spread.

Yet another item for my bucket list.........pretty soon . Yeah soon....

I wish I was where you are after five years of doing this...

Great work man!

-Gabriel

• Like 1

Thanks, guys! I added some new skill sets in this build like the copper inlay in the blade. I ruined the chisels I made during the process so I will have to go back through that chisel thread and make some new ones. I love this inlay stuff though.

It looks fantastic with the carving, inlay, and pattern in the blade, and the theme really brings all of the aspects of the piece together nicely! Out of curiosity, how did you end up choosing the Steller's sea cow bone for the handle? I didn't even know that they (had) existed.

Crap dude! This knife is sweet, love the copper inlay.

Just wondering why this knife is 1/8th inch thick, where most seaxes usually double or triple that measurement?

Edit to add: Legitimate question by the way, not criticism. :)

Edited by Collin Miller

that is really nice. I like it.

It looks fantastic with the carving, inlay, and pattern in the blade, and the theme really brings all of the aspects of the piece together nicely! Out of curiosity, how did you end up choosing the Steller's sea cow bone for the handle? I didn't even know that they (had) existed.

I wanted it to be a seax based on the sea. So I thought sea creature. I was looking for oosik (walrus penis bone) when the supplier told me about the steller sea cow bone. I liked it much better. I am hoping to do a second one that is based on mermaids, which is what the steller sea cows were often mistaked as mermaids. The stuff is tough but great to carve if it is a dense enough bone.

Crap dude! This knife is sweet, love the copper inlay.

Just wondering why this knife is 1/8th inch thick, where most seaxes usually double or triple that measurement?

Edit to add: Legitimate question by the way, not criticism. :)

Yeah, a lot of seaxes were much thicker. I really haven't been doing re-creations though. I make more inspired by seaxes than actual historical seaxes. a .25" wide blade that is only 5.5" long is way too thick and awkward. When I make them longer (10 inches or more) I give them that thicker spine. I love the seax profile and geometry but the super thickness of them in a smaller knife makes for a terribly un-useable blade.

Yeah, a lot of seaxes were much thicker. I really haven't been doing re-creations though. I make more inspired by seaxes than actual historical seaxes. a .25" wide blade that is only 5.5" long is way too thick and awkward. When I make them longer (10 inches or more) I give them that thicker spine. I love the seax profile and geometry but the super thickness of them in a smaller knife makes for a terribly un-useable blade.

Makes you wonder why they made them so thick, huh?

I agree though, almost any blade I make under 6" is 3/16" or less at the spine. They just slice so much better when they're a little on the thin side.

• Like 1

Amazing work for sure. The sea cow bone, IMO, works great for this piece, not only in the sea reference, but the texture and color really go well with the blade.

How do you not have a firey beard yet?

Amazing work for sure. The sea cow bone, IMO, works great for this piece, not only in the sea reference, but the texture and color really go well with the blade.

It is a great knife, but it's not a traditional seax. ;) Gotta go old-school for the beard. B)

It is a great knife, but it's not a traditional seax. ;) Gotta go old-school for the beard. B)

Ah, gotcha! Thanks for the clarification sir.

I am trying to find my style right now. While traditional seaxes are my favorite and I love those blades I am not trying to reproduce them. I learn from them and try to keep my work in the spirit of them but with my take. Maybe one day I will go for a strict reproduction but for now I have my learner's beard on and am happy with that. I do appreciate the compliments though ;)

And you get serious smoky points for your vision, fear not! B) Never forget, the beard is not solely about skill. You have all the requirements. Someday when you feel the urge you know what to do. ;) It's waiting when you want it.

• Like 1