Hey guys just wanted to share what I have been working on. Forged from 5/8" round W1 With a blade of around 6". Blade style is show zukuri. I know tango are generally Hirazukuri but I wanted to change it up a bit. Please tell me what you think and feel free to critique. The blade is in its rough filed state. I also want to mention that I have not started shaping the tang yet. Thanks for checking it out!

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8520.JPG

IMG_8521.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

Very nice, crisp lines! it looks like a lot of grinding to do on the tang, though. Make sure that its widest and thickest point is at the notches, and also make sure that the base of the edge-side notch (hamachi) flares out slightly. You barely even see it. Don't sharpen the blade down all the way, either. There should be a small, unsharpened area at the base so the habaki/guard isn't resting on a thin piece of metal. Aim for a sweet hamon! I can't wait so see what happens, W1 is some cool stuff.

Thanks! Wow I did not know that the edge at the notch was unsharpened there! good to know though and it makes sense...its gonna be hidden under the habaki. I never would have thought of that lol

The edge doesn't go that deep into the habaki, actually. It does go in a little ways, but I would say 80-90% of the habaki is covering the tang. You will still see an unsharpened area coming out from the habaki. It's a combat knife, so soldiers would either use it to slash or stab. There is no need to use the area of the blade closest to the handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again you hamon looks great! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the making of the shirasaya...more pictures of the finished blade will be in the show and tell and for sale areas of the forum. Thanks for checking it out guys I hope you enjoyed this work in progress thread