Hide yo Wife, Hide yo Kids.

so, i live in the middle of a field... mice come and go... Recently i had a large pack infiltrate my garage and the dog's food pan. I'm in the midst of slaying them.... keeping food sealed etc waiting for them to find the poison. My FRESH bottle of cool tool was assaulted, tipped over and nipple chewed off.. and they DRANK ALL OF THE COOL TOOL~!@??!~! what the h$@? I JUST ordered it and loved it vs the spraying wd40 everywhere....... anyway. thought I would warn everyone. Start hanging your cool tool from a string from the ceiling so the mice dont getcha :(

Aside from the few mice, the rats were running rampant in my shop. They usually left my stuff alone (scratch that, they loved my white diamond rouge) but boy, they did a number on all the horse/goat/chicken feed. Started dispatching them with traps and I feel bad now. :P Ever read Rats of NIMH?

Gotta mix in some cyanide or something, that should fix your problem :D

Wonder if the cyanide would case harden as the steel got hot-- and instead of lubing to make drilling easier, the case hardening made it harder. #irony

Aside from the few mice, the rats were running rampant in my shop. They usually left my stuff alone (scratch that, they loved my white diamond rouge) but boy, they did a number on all the horse/goat/chicken feed. Started dispatching them with traps and I feel bad now. :P Ever read Rats of NIMH?

no.. lol I wish my doberman didnt like eating cats and i might not have this problem

Wonder if the cyanide would case harden as the steel got hot-- and instead of lubing to make drilling easier, the case hardening made it harder. #irony

Actually I suppose heating up cyanide would probably make hardening the least of your problems.

Try leaving Coke out in a shallow pan...

They can't burp, or so I have been told.

-Gabriel

I am an avid raptor and wildlife fan, one sure way to kill the predators of mice is to poison the mice leaving a bigger problem a couple years down the road.

Just my two cents... buckets filled with water and lightly smearing peanut butter around the water line works well too!

Edited by grpaavola

I too avoid poisons for pest control. The neatest rodent trap I have seen is the bucket with a few inches of water in it, a soda bottle with a rod skewered through it end to end and then rested on the rim of the bucket. There is a ramp to the end of the rod so the little guys can get it to it and they cannot resist the smell of the peanut butter that is smeared on the side of the bottle. The tightrope walk out to the bottle and when they reach the PB, they upset the balance of the bottle and they get dropped off into the water. My buddy uses one in his barn and says he empties it about everyday. Plenty of youtube videos of them.

I don't use bug spray for wasp and hornet control anymore either because they can fly off after getting sprayed and die elsewhere. These can become a quick meal for a bird who will die as well. I use the rosebud heating tip and try to cook them up before dawn when they are all home.

I prefer deadfall traps when possible but i opened a shop cabinet and there were like 8 scurrying around, they were running around inside my engine area of my 4 wheeler and all over the place. Just last summer i had to go across the street to my aunts ti fix her AC unit- 2 mice were sizzled forming a chain from the contactor to something else shorting out the circuit. At least it was an easy fix but its dang annoying. I didnt want any chewed wires or etc. Ill collect their tiny dead bodies and chunk them in the trash :P

Related, I had a 8"x 4ft steel tube I used for quenching in used veggie oil when I first began, we had cars that ran on it so I had a lot around.. well I noticed the oil level kept getting higher and higher as it sat in my shop, then I went to quench a sword or something one day and bottomed out about a foot into the oil...

Turned out about 7 or 8 large rats had piled up one by one, jumping or falling in to get after the oil and drowning. It got to where I was pulling out two a day until I made a cover for it. I felt really bad for the little guys slowly drowning in oil.. field rats don't cause much damage here, they aren't the disease carrying Norway rats either but more of the pack rat variety.

Got rid of this method of quenching finally and tossed the whole tube on the burnpile to cook out the remnants.. man that thing stank before hand.

• 1 month later...

Yall should try fighting rats off of a grain installation, talk about a losing battle, but 3 phase 240v wins every time.

image.jpg

I'm not gonna begin to tell the tales of rats in a sugar mill!

haha The grain was just harvested around us. My aunt, who lives across from me called me and said her AC wasnt working. Full of dread i waltz over and check it out. After a bit i finally opened up the back panel of the outside unit to find 2 rats fried to a dry shell that were touching the contactors. Removed rats problemo solved... lol