Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stephens

Non-Blade: Avil Stand Concept as Coffee Table.

All:

Well, I was looking for a coffee table for the new house in Alaska.

I built the new house very open, so the main living area is a large, open conversation square with lots of chairs and couches and stuff, but every time I tried to look for a coffee table I couldn't find anything substantial enough for the space. I like a coffee table that can double as a dining table for informal dinners . . . people sitting on pillows or cross legged around it, that sort of thing.

So, I decided to build one. I'm not a fine woodworker like my dad, and my shop has mostly (as you'd guess) metalworking tools. But I do have a radial arm saw, and I often use it to make anvil stands . . . so, why not an anvil stand coffee table for a swordsmith's house, right?

Here's some WIP shots if you guys are interested.

1-006.JPG

2-011.JPG

3-013.JPG

4-016.JPG

5-018.JPG

6-021.JPG

A cool 7" rotary random orbit sander I picked up to deal with the stubborn end grain sanding. Much more aggressive than the regular random orbit 4" sanders, but still random so no swirl marks!

7-025.JPG

With 3 coats of varnish. At least a dozen more to go.

8-IMG_3706.JPG

And! Can't have an anvil stand coffee table without a wee anvil to adorn it, right? So I picked up this little guy on ebay. 8.5 lbs. Going to polish the face and wire brush the body and have it in the center of the table.

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1

Very cool Dave. It's like an end grain cutting board for a giant's kitchen. My only concern would be the lack of air space underneath impeding the functionality. Very well done though.

Neat :)

It does loke very butcher-block like. I think, rather than the anvil, you should forge a sword sized chef's knife to lay on top of it ;)

Well done, sir.

be even more amazing if it had a trap or hidden door for storage underneath

!

Holy crap! That thing is awesome! How are you going to get it into the house?...

Well . . . that's kind of the issue. It weighs about 250 pounds and there are not easy places to grab it. The current plan is to grab a couple of my stronger buddies, tip it on it's edge onto some of those "super slider" things, and slide it to the man door of the garage. Lift it the 3 feet into the house, then use an upside down bathroom rug (the kind with the rubber grippy stuff on one side and soft carpet on the other) to slide it across the hardwood floor to the living room.

It should be interesting!

Thanks for the kind words, all!

Dave

That looks really good!

Once it's in place, and the anvil is done, you've got to post some pics!

Get a "shoulder dolly" if you can. It makes moving stuff so easy. You need a second person, though. I think my dad found them at Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart.

that is a very cool idea. I am going to a blacksmithing gathering at Ashokan (yep, in anticipation of the sword gathering) in two weeks. I am going to hopefully learn a few tricks that I can used to ornament my new home.

Good luck on the move!