What kind of music?

Timothy Artymko

I don't think I've had anyone in the shop who wasn't surprised by the variety that I have on a normal day... I don't mean that to sound like I'm cool or have good taste, most folks react pretty negatively which I completely understand. To me it's all just part of what's already in my head, I don't typically change the music to suit the kind of work I'm doing.

Here is a quick example of what might come up when I put the ipod on shuffle...

woody guthrie

wu-tang clan

children of hurin on audio book (i will stop what i'm doing to skip audio books :angry: )

n.w.a.

josh garrels

bad brains

beck

ensifurum

rza

circle jerks

blind willie johnson

• Like 1

...if the dragons breath is roaring hard at'r as are the hammers and the sparks then so is the music , some good old ACDC , Metallica , Motley Cru something of that nature to coincide with the task at hand...

I second that! :lol:

I have always been a fan of electronica (judge at your leisure :P) and had a friend introduce me to dubstep back in college. For anyone who doesnt know, it has been correctly referred to as "two fax machines going at it mixed with some bass". Dubstep is described in relation to how "dirty" it is. The louder and angrier the fax machines sound, so to speak, the "dirtier" the dubstep. I would say that dubstep represent about half of my smithing music. The rest is an even spread of everything but rap and country.

For reference: dubstep - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofRdGShUaW0

For me, it entirely depends on how the day has progressed thus far.

In the shop:

Bad days - Heavy stuff, KMFDM, Five Finger Death punch, Korn ( the old stuff ) Slipknot and I tend to want to do hot work on those days.

Good days - Classical and classic music, Barber, Beethoven, Lindsey Sterling ( Awesome violinist ) and stuff like Pink Floyd ( have the entire collection ) Led Zeppelin as I grew up listening to old rock in my dads shop.

At the day job / Geeking it at a computer gaming or tinkering

Oakenfold, Infected Mushroom, Skazi, Tiesto, Prodigy, Zeds Dead.. For some odd reason " Techno " helps me focus on the task of staring at a computer screen for 14+ hours a day.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems many here have as much of an eclectic taste in music as I do- was raised on classic rock, folk rock, and early metal like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Kiss, Yes, The Who, etc- but I found 70s funk to be right up my alley too.

Alternative rock hits closest to home for me- Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Tool, Primus, Rage Against the Machine, and so on, but I dabble in a little old school hip hop too.

I'm a student of classical and jazz music, started on Bass Clarinet, but a 3 year stint in Drum Corps International converted me to brass as a baritone/euphonium player. Ended up playing professionally with "The Commandants Own" USMC drum and bugle corps. My favorite classical composer by far is Dimitri Shostakovitch, and favorite jazz band is Stan Kentons Orchestra. I like my classical dark, and the Jazz fast and crazy.

While in DC with the marine corps I discovered the rave scene, and started DJing at lots of events there- mostly progressive house and deep trance-opened for tiesto a couple times, oakenfold once, and my favorite- John digweed once. have recently picked up more modern styles like glitch hop and the genre which must not be named(dub step)

Majored in music education and was an elementary school teacher for a few years and an assistant high school band director, but gave that up last year.

So a little of everything in the playlist. Except country. Can't do country.

Edited by Doug Crawford

Tubular Bells, anything by Pink Floyd, or Mr. Freddie Mercury (the Master of voice control!).

• 3 weeks later...

Music eh??

Ok everything from Brahms to Pink Floyd.. Now I use to play the organ many years ago at a friend's church (his father was a Lutheran Minister) so I got my grime ridden mitts on a multi million $$ instrument..however I got pretty tired of playing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God"..so to warm up the pipes I use to play either "Frankenstein" , "Iron Man", "Smoke on the Water" or my fave.."Gidda Gadda Ga Vida"..

On the other front..Thelonius Monk is always good..so is Leadbelly...when I am feeling blues-sey,,,

Then there is my all time favourites,,Big Band like the Dorseys, Miller, Carmichael, Goodman and the like...growing up in a nightclub/restaurant I heard alot of the greats like Louie Armstrong, Louie Prima.. many more...

I have a strange taste in music to say the least.. at least we ain't talking about food.cause that is where I get really over the top..

JPH..

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

I don't normally listen to music in the shop. But when I do it's fairly wide ranging. I can go from classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, to Hip Hop like Gorillaz, to Gypsy Punk style. Balkan beat box or Gogol Bordello. Of course there is the heavy metal, Metallica, Dio, Rammstein, etc.

Really what ever is pleasing to the ear.

JPH, you reminded me of a story a friend of mine once told me. For many years he was the keyboard player in the Army Band. I met him at Berklee in Boston. He grew up playing the organ in his local church and he would sneak in stuff by Kansas, ELP, Yes, etc.Usually only once every Sunday. His friends loved it and the minister never noticed one bit. So he starts getting serious about his playing and starts learning a Bach piece. When he gets it tight, he launches into it on a Sunday afternoon for the walk out. The minister reprimands him afterward saying "don't play that rock and roll stuff here!"

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

I don't listen to music when I'm forging, but I do when doing cold work. Here's what I like:

Rush, Galactic, ELO, The Clash, CHIC, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, Sting/The Police, Yes, Jamiroquai, Steely Dan, Gary Numan, Wolf People, etc. Pretty much anything with rock, groove, soul, or disco.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" -The Dude,

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rougemont_forge/

Music eh??

Ok everything from Brahms to Pink Floyd.. Now I use to play the organ many years ago at a friend's church (his father was a Lutheran Minister) so I got my grime ridden mitts on a multi million $$ instrument..however I got pretty tired of playing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God"..so to warm up the pipes I use to play either "Frankenstein" , "Iron Man", "Smoke on the Water" or my fave.."Gidda Gadda Ga Vida"..

On the other front..Thelonius Monk is always good..so is Leadbelly...when I am feeling blues-sey,,,

Then there is my all time favourites,,Big Band like the Dorseys, Miller, Carmichael, Goodman and the like...growing up in a nightclub/restaurant I heard alot of the greats like Louie Armstrong, Louie Prima.. many more...

I have a strange taste in music to say the least.. at least we ain't talking about food.cause that is where I get really over the top..

JPH..

Am I the only one who REALLY wants to see Jim play Iron Man on a multi million dollar organ?!

While I'm still here, what kinda food you like, JPH? haha

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Forge food? Like stuff you can cook on top of the forge while you are working? That might deserve its own thread!

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Hello..OK ya all asked...

On the "YUDFOC" (Young, Dumb, Full of C**) end back in the early 1970's..Balut was pretty good..I will admit that I did have a moment..(just for a second) withe the beaks but once that was crunched..it was all so good...

Now ya all have to realize that I am a first generation "US Born" for my family and I am 1/2 Greek and 1/2 Kurd (and not Muslim Kurd either....Zoroastrian Kurd ..but us Kurds usually don't see any "division" we are all KURDS..)

Now food on my father's side (the Greek side..Ok Mum couldn't outrun Dad.) the food was pretty much normal for most folks..well sorta..Now on Mum's side..that is where things get interesting and YUMMY.. Like Lamb eyes..Khash.. Thapsi, Kunnah..Tophska..now the rte is a whole bunchy of "overlap" between Greek and Kurd cooking.. and when you look at the history of the region in Asia Minor. Eurasia, Mesopotamia you can see why that is... But this is "home cooking" for me... And to be honest..when I was deployed to the "Old Country" I gained close 20 -25 some odd pounds eating the "old home style cooking".. Youy should of seen my XO and my Adjunctent's faces when we were invited top dinner with my Mum's side of the family..at least all that was left after Saddam Hussein was through gassing them..

But that was the norm for around here for "home cooking".. I am a real fan of fermented food//I just put up another 40 pound batch of Kimchi as well as 20 pounds of salami and a cold cured ham.the Kimchji should be nice and sour in about 3 weeks or so..the salami..if all goes well and the rime forms as expected..12 to 16 weeks and the ham..sometime next year once all the moisturize and all quits dripping...it gets rubbed three times a week to keep things on track.and yeah..it is raw pork but when it is done and cured..man oh man...

I will pretty much eat anything except a few things..one of them is mayonnaise..I just can't do it... So you can say I have a very open mind when it comes down to food...

The first time I ever had chicken I thought:: "Geeze this tastes like snake..or frog..or lizard..only a bit more "flat" and tasteless""...

I make a killer chili (on several different levels) and if you ever walk through my kitchen and take a glance at the cook books on the book rack you will see the usual ones you would expect..right next to copies of "Grey's Anatomy" and the "Teachings of Galen".. Something to think about...

JPH

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...