Recent knives and stuff

Saul Kokkinos-Kennedy

Well its been a while since i've posted anything here, so thought i'd share some of what i've been up to. These are some photos from my instagram

250mm damascus gyuto.jpg

250mm gyuto in 1084 and 15n20. Handle is red coolabah and mallee burl with brass and g10 spacers.

250mm gytuto close up.jpg

Close up of pattern

Forging hammer head.jpg

Beginning of Japanese style hammer

Carving hammer handle.jpg

Carving hammer handle out of old redgum railway sleeper

Japanese hammer head.jpg

Finished hammer. Haven't used it enough yet to know what i think

Damascus and brass ring.jpg

Ring out of 1084 and 1045 damascus with brass. plan to make a silver liner at some point.

Kitchen knives.jpg

Bunch of knives i'm still finishing, some are damascus and some are 431 stainless and 1084 san mai. I'll upload more photos as i finish them

SKK stamp.jpg

First attempt at making a stamp. Going to remake this one

Twisted steel.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Simon, the ring was made by heating to white hot and quenching in water, which cracked the steel. The cracks were then enlarged by letting it sit in ferric chloride over night. Then cleaned out the cracks with ultra sonic cleaner and vinegar. Then heated, fluxed with borax, and brazed into the cracks with nickel brass rod.

Here's some damascus and a few axes i've been working on.

Multi bar billet stacked.jpg

5 strand multi bar ready for forge welding. 3 alternating twists, a thin straight laminate, and an edge of twisted W's pattern.

Forge welded multi bar billet.jpg

Here's the bar all welded up, looking forward to seeing how it turns out in a knife.

Axe with high carbon bit.jpg

small viking style carving axe in the works. Body is 1050 and edge is 1084 steel

rough forged axes.jpg

2 hatchets with hammer polls, and the viking carving axe from the last picture. Pretty pleased with how these are coming along, as it's my first time making axes.

oh my, that first knife is beautiful!

all of this stuff is nice. The last billet looks like it will make something awesome, too.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs