Hi everyone I'm new here but wanted to post my forge build, sorry if this is wrong place. Just lookin for any pointers or advise. Got two one inch layers wool, coated completely with satanite and been re coating one day for last three days. Fired burner few times briefly to help cure. Like I said just looking for any and all comments , ideas, etc. also sorry not the prettiest forge but I'm sure it'll work, used an old cast iron lid that fits perfect lol. I'll post more after its cleaned up. Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

i cant comment on the construction as I've never made a vertical, but points for the face, and the pot lid. Gives it character. I like it.

Haha sorry wasn't sure how to fix it. Anyone know the top of the forge should be sealed up? Not the cast iron lid but the insulation under that. I had a round piece of inswool, satanite coated, and laid on top. Problem was it stuck and I couldn't add another coat, like I did inside the forge. I'd like to have the portion taking the heat to be coated a few times. I dunno maybe I'm just an idiot lol

I dont even work here, or know what im talking about 89% of the time. But, I would think since you have the satanite to dampen the possible airborne contaminations from the kaowool and there's little chance you will poke stab or disturb the top you're probably ok. Except in cast that you need to pop the top off to repair something in the future then you might have to break it free and do so?

You will need to get access from the top to get stuff out of the bottom that you drop. My vertical forge has a chunk of Inswool that is coated on one side that just sits in a metal bucket (much like a paint pail) on top of the pipe that is my forge body. When I drop something inside I lift the bucket off and the Inswool comes with it.

Yep, that is what I meant Gabriel. I like to work several pieces at once, so my forge door gets pretty crowded. When I add or remove one piece I will often knock a different one in. I then have to turn my quarter turn valve off, remove the lid, fish the part out, put the lid back on, then open the gas back up. The forge is still quite hot, so it auto-ignites. I'd put a handle on top of my lid, but I found that I like to put my bowl of borax flux up there. Sadly, I don't have a picture with me, but I'll try to get one tonight. I've had a bit of a cold recently, so I haven't been doing too much,

No problem appreciate the help. I ended up pressing some wool into the chamber slightly (from the top). Then used that indented area as a marking for where to put some heavy coats of satanite. Added a watery coat of satanite to the rest of the wool right before I sealed off the chamber with it. This is only temporary though. I'm ordering some 1" Duraboard, bout one square foot, and cut into a small circular lid to block off chamber. I'll toss the metal lid over top all that. I'll lose some heat efficiency but will be a breeze to maintain chamber and take lid off and on, etc. might eventually attach some wool inside that metal lid eventually but we'll see how my heat efficiency does.

Here are a couple pics of my vertical forge.

Here you can see my bucket on top of the forge with the flux bowl above that.

20160420_201545.jpg

There you can see what is under the bucket. This is fresh Inswool. It will get a very light coat of refractory painted over just the portion that is exposed to the flame. Keeping the outside rim uncoated helps it seal without exposing the fibers. Note that there are 2 layers there and a little dab of refractory will get them to stick together and stick to the bucket so they come off the forge and stay in the bucket.

20160420_201707.jpg

FYI, all my stuff has to be pushed together when not in use. That is one of the big things that keeps me from doing things in the shop more, I have to pull it apart, use it, then put it back in its corner. Some day I'll have my own shop again. Hopefully by the end of the summer my dad and I will expand his and then I'll at least have a little more room.