Sign in to follow this  
Alveprins

Simple San-mai Hunting Knife

Ok, so I've been busy all day and all night the past few days to complete this modest little thing in time for the 50th birthday of one of my colleagues. My boss approached me and asked if I could come up with a knife for a colleague since he is a hunter - and I could not resist the chance to make something I havent made before.

So here it goes:

Blade length: 103mm

Blade thickness: 4mm at handle - tapering down to a narrow tip.

Blade hardness at edge: 63 HRC.

Handle length: 109mm

Blade materials: UHB20C for the edge and UHB15LM for the jacket. Differentially hardened ofc.

Handle materials: Madagascar Ebony and mosaic pins.

The blade is full tang, naturally.

And here are the pics... Fashionably amateurish as always:

H knife S 001.jpg

H knife S 002.jpg

H knife S 003.jpg

H knife S 004.jpg

H knife S 005.jpg

Any and all critique is as always very welcome. ^_^

I must say though - I am extremely happy with the handle. You probably can't tell from the images, but this knife sits really well in the hand... Its like... I don't want to let it go once I grip it... :lol:

Sincerely, Alveprins.

Edited by Alveprins

Nice looking knife. I don't think I've seen a buffed mirror finish (if I'm guessing correctly) on san-mai before. Did you etch the blade at all, or does that fine of a finish bring out the different steels like that on its own?

Nice looking knife. I don't think I've seen a buffed mirror finish (if I'm guessing correctly) on san-mai before. Did you etch the blade at all, or does that fine of a finish bring out the different steels like that on its own?

I etched it, and then cleaned the blade with steel wool before buffing it ever so slightly on a buffing wheel. (the steel became all grey and spotted...)

I usually bring the knife to a mirror polish before I etch. But this is my first mono-steel san-mai knife, so I didnt know what to expect. :P

UPDATE:

I've had to outsource the sheath since I do not yet have the equipment or materials to make these myself.

I plan on making 3-4 knives of this model, sell them off, and invest in some leather working equipment though. ^_^

Until that happens - I will have to outsource sheaths from this local guy I've come to know. Older fellow, pentioned saddle maker - so he knows his stuff.

Slire.jpg

Note that this is a very simple sheath... Utilitary if you will... :lol:

The design is mine btw... I think it came out pretty nice.

Sincerely, Alveprins.