Hello Everyone,

This summer I have started an apprenticeship to become a goldsmith.

I had just finished high school and originally planned to study at the dutch college for goldsmithing and jewelry making,

however I was rejected because i have a form of autism. :angry:

Luckily I stumbled upon a master who was willing to offer me an apprenticeship.

In hindsight I am actually glad I was rejected, as there is nothing better than hands on education from a master inside an actual running business.

(I also have permission to make use of the more than fully equipped workshop for my own projects in the weekends. B))

(PS: I also like to make WIP pictures of my gold and silversmithing projects, maybe people on this forum are interested in those?)

But now onto the actual knife, :D

As part of my education I had to practice sand casting, I had to design a small object, carve it in plexiglass and cast it in silver.

Ofcourse I made a knife guard :rolleyes:.

Now that I had a guard I also needed the rest of the knife, I wanted simple lines to emphasise the hexagonal shape of the guard.

I also wanted a luxurious look and feel to the knife.

I forged the blade from a file and did my first water quenched hamon to spiffy up the blade a bit.

For the handle I chose (black?) walnut, unfortunately I broke a drill making the tang hole and had to do a split construction.

Both blade and handle are hand polished to 1500 grit, the front of the guard is buffed to a full mirror shine.

If you have any critique or tips I would love to hear them, so that my next knife will be even better.

IMAG0086_zpsmo5o5v6q.jpg

IMAG0088_zps9hvhdhoj.jpg

IMAG0714_zpsdmlrboun.jpg

IMAG0720_zpsqjoo4jmw.jpg

IMAG0706_zpscc6laywf.jpg

IMAG0704_zpsvoojah9l.jpg

IMAG0722_zpspq5yxh4x.jpg

IMAG0724_zpsrh7ge1e0.jpg

• Like 1

I would look forward to you sharing what you learn and make. I have so much to learn And I like your work.

Gary LT

That is a gourmet knife! elegant. Yeah share your jewelry projects I for one would like to see them.

Congratulations on the apprenticeship! You will be much better off, I think.

That looks a lot like the delft clay casting I have done. It's a great technique and I would love it if you posted your progress in the goldsmithing arts.

That way I can live vicariously through your achievements!

Oh yeah, the knife is pretty cool. The handle is sweet!

You would have gotten a better fit on the guard if you had made the knife first, but it still looks good.

Edited by Joshua States

The only thing I can find wrong is the tiny blade/bolster gaps, but other than that superb knife! I love the lines, and the colors match perfectly as well.

Congrats on the apprenticeship and I too would love to see your goldsmithing and jewelry making projects!

I third the motion on the goldsmithing projects, I intend to make wedding bands for myself and my girlfriend for when we get married, so I am going to need all the help I can get, so WIP's are a for sure.

Grats on the finding someone to teach you hands on, Thats awesome to have that kind of opportunity.

And the knife looks pretty slick, as mentioned before the colors go together wonderfully.

Matthew, sand casting frames (they typically are just a frame) or kits, are available through most jewelry maker supplies like

Rio Grande: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Delft-Clay-Casting-System/705136

or Otto Frei: http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Jewelry-Casting-Kits-and-Machines/Sand-Casting-Flask.html

Grand thanks for all the nice replies.

The gaps between blade and bolster seem to be my arch nemesis, I've never managed a fit that I was content with.

the fact that the bolster was finished before the knife made it a lot harder also.

The last big goldsmithing project I finished was the making of a small nickel silver box, I will start a new thread for that when I have sorted out the pictures.

Matthew, sand casting frames (they typically are just a frame) or kits, are available through most jewelry maker supplies like

Rio Grande: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Delft-Clay-Casting-System/705136

or Otto Frei: http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Jewelry-Casting-Kits-and-Machines/Sand-Casting-Flask.html

Oh I understand about those flasks. I actually use those ones and larger ones that I have built every day in my shop with delft and petrobond but the small one he is using here caught my attention because it has a nice appeal and I kind of collect flasks. That's why I was asking where he got it from