hi guys, i have a question for you. last may i took ric's wootz class, and obviously i got the bug for crucible steel smelting. i have been gathering materials to build a crucible furnace to do further work on my own starting later this year. should be fun. the question is this: i have maybe 50 pounds worth of O1 took steel cutoffs and scraps that i have been holding on to for some reason. its good steel, so its a shame to throw it away. i guess i was thinking i might combine it with powder and make some random damascus out of it. more recently i was wondering if it would be foolish to try and re-melt it in a crucible, or maybe even attempt to alter it by adding elements? i guess i'm just musing right now, and i'm fully aware that this might be a stupid idea. but i know that a lot of you guys have experience with this stuff, and i'm curious about what you might have to say.

I don't know enough about the subject to comment, but I just checked out you website and wanted to say that your chef knives look fantastic. Love that one in W-2.

I don't know enough about the subject to comment, but I just checked out you website and wanted to say that your chef knives look fantastic. Love that one in W-2.

hey justin! that's not the response i was expecting, but i'll take it! thanks for the compliment, i really appreciate it!

I have O-1 scraps I do have put aside for a crucible run, as this iron has reasonable quantities of vanadium and help in first runs, haven't down any yet.

Gary LT

I don't know anything about steel melt/smelt either, but I can tell you this:

You won't know for sure unless you try. What's the worst thing that can happen? Ruin a bunch of steel scrap?

Oh yeah, ditto what Justin said about your knives.