A few handle broaches I have made.

For those that don't know, a broach is used to enlarge and excavate the hole in your handle material for a hidden tang knife. They are pretty effective and I like using them. They are more or less just small saws.

Both of these are 1080, one with Cocobolo and Copper and the other in Bloodwood and Ebony. The "blades" are 4.5 inches (11,4 cm) long, with total lengths of about 9 inches (22,9 cm). At the tip they are about 3/32 of an inch wide. Only the first inch or so is hardened.

If you have made your own handle broach, please post it in here. I would love to see them.

Thanks!

broach-1.jpg

broach-4.jpg

Edited by Wes Detrick

Do you have any vid or pictures of them in use? I know how broaching is used in machining but curious to see how this is done.

Do you have any vid or pictures of them in use? I know how broaching is used in machining but curious to see how this is done.

Unfortunately, I don't. Hopefully, someone else might. I can tell you how I do it though.

I drill out a series of holes in the handle, all in line and connected. Once that is done, I can fit the broach tip down into the handle, and begin removing any material I don't need. I ca expand the hole this way, making it wider and taller. Almost like you are scraping it out.

Been planning to make one very soon. Yours are just beautiful. Might have to take some inspiration from your design. Thanks for posting!

I've been think about making on but I wasn't going to go nearly that nice. I was just thinking about taking a sawzall blade and grinding all but a few teeth off but after seeing yours I'm thinking differently.

Thanks for the compliments guys. When you make yours, please post some pics. I want to see everyone else's take on them.

I have heard of people doing the sawzall thing and I am sure that it works great.

There are a few of mine in this image, some homemade, some modified saws....

DSCN0184_zpsd0hvoe10.jpg

• Like 1

Another one hiding in this photo....

Yyg090.jpg

• Like 1

At 5:40 you can see Nick Wheeler using one in this video of his on YouTube. https://youtu.be/Km-A8ozFTLU

Seen that video, but forgot about that part. Thanks for the reminder!

There are a few of mine in this image, some homemade, some modified saws....

Which one do you find works the best George?

I must say, Wes, those are the prettiest broaches I've seen! I use chisels and a ground-down Sawzall blade after drilling the hole, quick and dirty. I will have to take the time to refine my game, now. B)

• Like 1

Wes, very nice. :-) You've already gone where I want to go, creating beautiful tools for my use.

I must say, Wes, those are the prettiest broaches I've seen! I use chisels and a ground-down Sawzall blade after drilling the hole, quick and dirty. I will have to take the time to refine my game, now. B)

Wes, very nice. :-) You've already gone where I want to go, creating beautiful tools for my use.

Thank you gentlemen! I am sure that a ground down sawzall blade works amazingly well, but I guess I felt the need to have pretty tools. Not sure why, other than it makes me happy to use them.

<snip>? Not sure why, other than it makes me happy to use them.

That is the best reason of all. I may have to copy this. The handle broaching is one part I do not enjoy at all. Using a nice tool may make it a bit more palatable!

Which one do you find works the best George?

With the tapered tang holes that seaxes require, I need all of them. If it was a simple rectangular slot I would use the biggest/coarsest one, and let the guard hide any imperfections. The modified jigsaw blade might be my favorite of the bunch, it cuts very aggressively, and with the set of the teeth you can get a little sideways action with it too.

Those look amazing, Wes! I've heard these are the magic wands of handle fitting. So...

...I've decided to make at least one. I said it in public, so now I've got to do it.... <_<:lol:

When you make yours, please post some pics. I want to see everyone else's take on them.

And I guess I'll post pictures tomorrow or Friday, so now I've also got to make it look nicish. :I

Those look amazing, Wes! I've heard these are the magic wands of handle fitting. So...

...I've decided to make at least one. I said it in public, so now I've got to do it.... <_<:lol:

And I guess I'll post pictures tomorrow or Friday, so now I've also got to make it look nicish. :I

Thanks Colin! Nice or not, post it. I love to see peoples takes on their tools.

• Like 1

Made these two yesterday, but it was too dark for pictures when I finished. Handles are oak, the little one is from a sawzall blade, but it I completely re cut the teeth, because they weren't working how I wanted. The bigger one in made from a pitchfork tine. Its sparks looked like 1095, but I'm not sure my heat treat took so if it dulls quickly I'll try to heat treat again.

I tested them both out on some hard walnut, and they work amazing. I can now turn a round hole into a square hole in a matter of seconds! They're ugly but useful little things haha

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

EDIT: sorry the photos stink, my camera was running out of battery and it was super bright out today.

Edited by Collin Miller

Made these two yesterday, but it was too dark for pictures when I finished. Handles are oak, the little one is from a sawzall blade, but it I completely re cut the teeth, because they weren't working how I wanted. The bigger one in made from a pitchfork tine. Its sparks looked like 1095, but I'm not sure my heat treat took so if it dulls quickly I'll try to heat treat again.

I tested them both out on some hard walnut, and they work amazing. I can now turn a round hole into a square hole in a matter of seconds! They're ugly but useful little things haha

EDIT: sorry the photos stink, my camera was running out of battery and it was super bright out today.

Those are great Colin! And they aren't ugly, but more importantly, they work.

Thanks Wes! And thanks for posting yours, I wouldn't have made them for a long while if you hadn't started this thread.

Well Wes,

Your Broaches inspired me. I forged on out of 1095. Similar design on the handle though mine isn't nearly as nice. Left a forged finish on it except for the teeth. Here's some pics...

brwKvCl.jpg

handle broach 1

handle broach 2

Edited by Cody Killgore

I will have to get some pics of the ones I make.
I started making them from small W1 flat stock and filing in the teeth.
I'm now making a blacksmith variant.
A fully forged handle and shank and then filed in teeth.
I'll take some pics and post them.

Thanks Wes! And thanks for posting yours, I wouldn't have made them for a long while if you hadn't started this thread.

You are certainly welcome Collin, glad it lit the fire under you :)

Well Wes,

Your Broaches inspired me. I forged on out of 1095. Similar design on the handle though mine isn't nearly as nice. Left a forged finish on it except for the teeth. Here's some pics...

Awesome Cody! I am happy that you got something out of me posting them. And your broach looks great to me. Hopefully it works as well as it looks.

I will have to get some pics of the ones I make.
I started making them from small W1 flat stock and filing in the teeth.
I'm now making a blacksmith variant.
A fully forged handle and shank and then filed in teeth.
I'll take some pics and post them.

Yep, I forged mine almost exactly like Cody did, and then filed the teeth in. Looking forward to seeing what you post.

Here's the group I have on hand.
A few with lathe turned handles.
An antler one and then the forged ones that I jimp.
And an alternate handle with a small blacksmith style scroll

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

Here's the group I have on hand.

A few with lathe turned handles.

An antler one and then the forged ones that I jimp.

And an alternate handle with a small blacksmith style scroll

Haha, thats awesome JJ, I dig the decorative file work and the rat tail on the one. Definitely blacksmith broaches. Nice work.