• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Hoy's Forge

biting the hand that feeds you!

23 posts in this topic

Back on feb. 29 I got in a hurry with my mitre saw! Haste makes waste!

DSC06086.JPG

DSC06088.JPG

DSC06089.JPG

Im playing my guitar again ...stiffly.. but it's comin along. tendons in thumb were surgically reattached. Im wiggeling again.

Ouch!!!

I think complacency/hurrying is what causes most accidents. I know practically every time I have been hurt if I was just listening to that little voice in my head screaming, this is not the right way to do this.....................well lets say if I had listened I might not have gotten hurt.

I had to say it but that is gonna leave a mark! Man that hurts just to look at! Bro you are lucky you still got them, they could have been laying in the scrap pile!!!

I am indeed Blessed to have a functioning left hand. My first injury where a knife was NOT involved. Per say. Knifemaking ( cutting up forge kindling) was involved!

I know you're probably more of a Bible man, but here's a Muslim saying that I can relate to in regards to safety: "God is great- but tie up your camel." In other words, you need to be more careful!

I will try to keep "Clyde" tied! :P I . We all are one "careless second " from disaster when we are working with sharp & hot!

I will try to keep "Clyde" tied! :P I . We all are one "careless second " from disaster when we are working with sharp & hot!

A saying that was passed on to me was "If your mind starts to leave the shop, send your body right after it." One reason I've been doing little work in the last few months.

Reminds me of two years ago, when in the span of a month I went to the tip of the bone on my middle finger with a table saw and then almost took the tip of my thumb off with a band saw, but I do believe you've got me beat sir.

Silver lining: every time somebody would ask me what happened I had cause to raise my finger in their direction and show them :P

I will tell you a quick story!

A few years ago I was going to cut a narrow rip off of 1/4" piece of plywood about 12"x12"on my table saw, on the wrong side of blade and guard and without a push stick. :unsure:

Now I know the blade is not suppose to extend thru the material being cut much more than teeth!! However I had been cutting 2x4 material and instead of taking that minute to lower the blade and moving the guard and grabbing a push stick which was handy, I made the pass. Thinking the whole time this is not a good idea however, I had gotten away with it many times before.

Not this time, the piece began to wander away from the guide, which caused a bind. That happened in the blink of an eye. So now I am going to attempt to save myself and my hand by jamming the piece in a stalling the motor! Because I know with the blade that high the saw will throw the piece back at the operator!!!

Realizing this was not going to happen either, I have to hang on as long as I can, The piece has now turned a half circle and the piece of plywood explodes from the force. In that instant I realize I have my hand free but some of that piece is now coming back at me at Mach 1. I closed my eyes to save my eyes in case the safety glasses failed.

Immediately I had a pain in my chest that nearly took me off of my feet, and also something hit me in the face. When I recovered I killed the saw and began to access the damages. I was still alive, I had my hand and pieces of that plywood were everywhere in the shop. I walked to the bathroom to see what had happened to my chest. As soon as I look in the mirror I see a piece of wood about the size of large kitchen match stuck in my nose right dead between the eyes. I lift my shirt to see a black mark the thickness of the 1/4" plywood and about 6" in length.

Then I begin to think had that splinter embedded in my nose been a little over, it could have gotten my eye. Had the piece that hit my chest been turned the other way the splintered end could have been embedded in my chest or caught the carotid artery if a little higher. :blink:

Since then I have had to reevaluate and listen to that inner voice, I knew better I was just in a hurry and had gotten away with it before!

I put this on a big board over my table saw, Complacency Kills and when it doesn't it maims and injures!!! I know think about that every time I walk in the shop and see the plaque, and it makes a good conversation piece!! :lol:

Edited by C Craft

That'll buff out. :)

Seriously though, this will make me refocus my attention on safety. I know I sometimes get fast and loose on the grinder (aka industrial skin removal machine).

Now you ya'll got me scared ! If I only used tools meant for the right materials in the right ways well .......we all make do with what we have .

That table saws a killer too! C Craft!

I know where I;m going when I die, but when I go , I want to go with every thing I came in this world with.

Thanks for the concern and advice gentlemen!

A few months ago I had the really bright idea of using a mitre saw to cut through a piece of steel cable so I could try my hand at cable damascus. I couldn't find my angle grinder, I was too lazy to do it by hand, and I spied the mitre saw sitting there and thought "Hmmm, that could probably do it". Pretty much every impulse was telling me that it was a bad decision but I had limited time to forge and I just wanted to get something done so I ignored it.

As soon as the blade hit the cable it frayed and the loose strands whipped around my fingers and then got caught in the blade, basically pulling my entire hand into the saw. There was a terrible, horrific noise, and then the blade seized shut. I sat there for a second with my hand literally stuck deep inside this saw and tried to mentally prepare myself for the gore that was sure to be underneath my glove.

Luckily I escaped with some very minor lacerations from the cable on my hand and wrist. The cable stopped the blade from cutting into my hand by a fraction of a second. Ever since then I have listened to that little voice in my head that tells me not to rush, not to use a tool improperly, to always wear safety gear, etc.

Edited by David Fischer

I'm starting to think mitre saws have an aggressive personality, or a thirst for blood! That sounds like a "go inside and change your underwear" kind of experience .

I have a new respect for my saw.

David, that's about the most boneheaded thing I've ever heard of anyone attempting to do and surviving. :ph34r: You got lucky!

A friend of mine was working with a compound miter saw putting siding on his house, was working tired and distracted, and ended up nearly cutting his hand off about halfway between wrist and elbow. He still can't make a good fist with his left hand. They are vicious little machines for sure.

What did Jim Hrisoulas say in his video? Something like hand tools injure; power tools maim. When I used to work in a walk-in care clinic and I was taking a history of an injury I don't know how many times the patient prefaced his story with "I was in a hurry".

Doug

Those saws suck! I hate them. My Dad recently took the tips of 3 of his fingers off with one. My wife's friend's Dad took off his hand about 2 years ago and I had a close call in the shop about 6 months ago. Working in a millwork shop we use them a lot and the main guy there has the guards removed as it's easier faster and to make precise cuts without the guard in the way. After about the 100th or so cut that day I was sweeping away the off cut and the blade hadn't stopped yet. I felt the impact and saw the index finger of my glove go flying across the room... I've cut myself in the shop before and I know that the impact is the only thing you feel for the first few seconds, enough time to think of what has happened and have the fear to look at the damage... well I look down and there's not even a scratch. Thankfully the gloves I was wearing that day (one's I'd never worn before) were really light weight material with rubber palms and fingers but light enough that the saw tore it free without dragging my hand into the blade... I took 5 mins and just breathed...

Heal quickly.

I'm starting to think mitre saws have an aggressive personality, or a thirst for blood! That sounds like a "go inside and change your underwear" kind of experience .

I have a new respect for my saw.

Yeah, that's a "bring my brown trousers" time there. When I had a nasty surprise using a hi-temp salt rig, and I did not have to change, I became convinced I'm too stupid, too slow or both to be scared s***less, as the expression goes.

well I go for my final Dr. visit this week ( wouldn't that be great) the final one in reference to my hand that is! As of now the only function Im missing is my last thumb joint will not curl in all the way. I have not found it hindering to any bladesmithing thing. But peeling the foil off the honey mustard at Chic fillet is difficult. and freting a bass not in a "F" or "D" chord is no longer an option. I am no longer freaking out teeny boppers in drive thru windows when I hand them my cash ! When my last scabby vestages are gone I will post a new pic. to end this sad thread. thanks to everyone for their concern and advice.

well for those who were curious here's the finish .

DSC06504.JPG