Jesus Hernandez

SHIKOMIZUE

OMG I HATE YOU !!!!! lol Ive been wanting to make one of these swords for soooooo long. When I had my knee surgery years ago i refused to use crutches and made the doctor find me a cane. Secretly I wanted it to be a shikomizue! I died a little just now on the inside! haha

I dont have the forge and probably the skills to make such a delicate blade just yet.... much less the cane/saya part! Super following this thread!

To give a little bit of an explanation for the skull and frog detail. I went to school at the University of Salamanca in Spain. The original building founded in 1094 is the second oldest university still functioning in the world and its façade is a complex stone carving in a unique style called plateresque. The name of the style comes from the fact that it imitates the look of the work of a silversmith. In Spanish silver is plata.

Here is a picture of the entrance wall to illustrate this:

DSCN9342.JPG

It is said that a freshman student would have to endeavor locating the carving of a skull in that façade with the unusual feature of having a frog on top without help from anyone in order to graduate from the school. It is not known what was in the head of the stone mason who committed such an irreverent act of which the meaning and symbolism remains unknown.

Here is the batrachian in question:

rana.jpg

The motto of the school is "Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non praestat" which means something like "What nature doesn't provide, the school of Salamanca doesn't lend." Which goes back to the nature vs. nurture issue.

• Like 1

Jesus, what material did you use to make the skull and from? It looks like it has a meaty texture to me. I look forward to seeing more of this project.

is this going to be your own personal sword cane? Good story, a little creepy, but good. Can't wait to see your blade.

Jesus, what material did you use to make the skull and from? It looks like it has a meaty texture to me. I look forward to seeing more of this project.

It's a bacon wrap. ;) Well, not really but I couldn't help myself.

Here is a picture of the mid-section of walking stick that may add some additional information.

_A631253.jpg

I am definitely following this one!

More Mr. Hernandez!

-Gabriel

Fantastic, Jesus! Very much looking forward to seeing more of this piece :)

Here is the business end of the blade and the stick.

_A631250.jpg

This blade profile was based on the original shape of Japanese sword canes. For most of the blade length is the typical profile of a Japanese katana in its hira-zukuri configuration and with a rood-peak mune. Except that it is skinnier and very straight. Zero sori. When I finished grinding the blade to shape and held it in my hand so used to holding full-length katana, I was shocked at how light it was. 400 grams. The point ends in a double edge both sides sharp although it seems to me that rather than cutting this profile is meant for thrusting. It will poke into things rather easily.

_A631212-Edit.jpg

One difference compared to other Japanese sword canes is its length. This blade is unusually long at 29" of cutting edge and and additional 7" for the nakago.

_A631272-Edit.jpg

• Like 1

Ive wanted one ever since i saw the old movie with the blind swordsman, Zatoichi, who carried one

edit* old Japanese movie

Edited by Gabriel James

The blade is a sanmai construction using 1050 for the core and folded cable for the jacket steel.

_A631106.jpg

_A631110.jpg

_A631113.jpg

_A631162-HDR.jpg

Thanks, Alan. You should remember how the tempering of this one went. ;) If not, this might help.

temper.jpg

I suspected that might be the one. Dennis kind of gave it away when he referred to "that cool sword cane Jesus is building..."

This is one of my aspirations, is to make one of these so when I am old and bent and frail ( yeah.... Right ) I can rickety around with a cane that will scare the hoodlums off....

I Love the carving on the skull, the texture of the wood makes it look like partially decomposed flesh is still sticking to it.

Sweet !!!!

Additional close-ups of the grip. The cane has a latching mechanism to keep it together.

_A631281-Edit.jpg

_A631238.jpg

Spiffy! I bet it was fun to carve the zygomatic arches on the skull. :ph34r:

Amazing work.