Brian Dougherty

Pry bars to Blades

OK, I am finally getting started on my KITH entry. I've lost too much time to go with any of the pattern welded concepts I had, so I am going to go with my "Rat-rod" themed knife. My intent is to create a knife that look aesthetically interesting, but have as many identifiable elements from the hardware store in it as possible.

Yeah...we'll see how this goes :rolleyes:

I started with the venerable Stanley wonder bar, and a nifty little pattern I cut out last night while waiting for some chicken on the grill:

IMG_20160424_180521404_zpsqj0mxo6q.jpg

After forging and rough grinding I have this:

0abbd273-2a01-4dd0-9767-6fb1d707d176_zps

I have a long way to go, but it is a start.

did you wear goggles like it says !! sorry couldn't resist..............looks good so far !

Ok, I was wandering around the hardware store (again) trying to find some inspiration for this rat rod wonder-bar knife idea of mine. I was looking at faucet handles, all sorts of specialty hardware, pipe fittings, lamp parts, and everything else in between.

There isn't much real estate on a knife, and I was about to give up on the idea when I turned a corner, and found a baby wonder-bar. A wonder-bar blade needs a wonder-bar guard, but these were too small, so I bought a 1" bolt, and sliced off part of he head. (I used a grade 8 to get the cool markings)

I'll have to narrow up the guard quite a bit when I get further down the road.

I don't know who is going to get stuck with my franken-knife, but it is going to be unusual.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

So is the top of that bolt going to be a bolster attached to the guard?

Yeah, I guess you could say that. The bolt head and pry bar are welded together. I'll slot the whole assembly, and shape it into a guard. The top of the bolt head will face forward, and I'll use the yellow part of the pry bar as the top of the guard. The rest will get bent down as a knicjle guard.

This is along the lines of what I am thinking for this guard. Kind of weird, I know...

1462143014674-452584221.jpg

I like weird! The spark plug cap Is a cool idea, but I wish they made them shorter. I think that it would look better if you exposed the electrode side of the spark plug, that's the part that is the most iconic. What is the end cap that it is attached to?

I'm not 100%, but I'm planning to modify a bronze pipe cap. I'll have to see what I can find that is about the right shape.

Pretty cool designs elements there. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

I got a little bit done with the butt cap last night. I started with a pipe cap, bored out the inside a bit and turned away some of the extra meat that I didn't have room for on the knife.

IMG_20160505_200513087_zps1gppd3ld.jpg

Now I am trying to decide which way I'll orient the spark plug. I wanted to leave it insulator side out, but Wesley's comment has got me thinking about other options...

IMG_20160505_202638946_zpsrgx1rtkg.jpg

IMG_20160505_203140503_zpszname6n8.jpg

IMG_20160505_203015847_zpszyjpqa3g.jpg

IMG_20160505_203140503_zpszname6n8.jpg

Any thoughts?

It's interesting both ways, but I kinda like the sparky side out, myself. Although it'd be fun to hook a wire to the plug and make an electric blade the other way around too...

+1 Alan

I have to totally agree!

BTW... I love what you have done with this. This is another one that fits the spirit of this KITH perfectly!

-Gabriel

This is so weird it's awesome!

I vote for spark side out, unless you plan on sharpening the contact tip to a point. Then it becomes a sharp butt cap.

Survived the second quench. Waiting for the oven to preheat...

IMG_20160507_202002531.jpg

Aw that sucks. Too hard on the grinder?

Yeah, this 5160 seems harder to grind than what I am used to. I didn't think I was being that aggressive, but it heated up quickly. Fresh belt too...

Ok, you guys get your way. I like the insulator of the spark plug better, but I'm in the minority, and it isn't going to be my knife.

I got the foundation polish to 220 tonight. It should go fairly quick from here.

I've always had a thing for turtles. When I was trying to create a touch mark, it just seemed natural. Not very black-smithy, but it represents me.

I like it, I hope you didn't think otherwise. It definitely sets you apart some. I don't think I've ever seen another mark with a turtle, I do know a guy that uses a frog though.