Brian Dougherty

Pry bars to Blades

No worries, I took your comment as positive :)

I took a break from hand sanding tonight to get the guard slotted. I'm not quite sure how I am going to finish out the guard, but I am leaning towards tumbling it and then painting the baby wonder-bar back to the Stanley black and yellow.

IMG_20160512_205825244.jpg

HA! :lol:

I love it!

-Gabriel

I have soldered a lot of strange things over the years. However, none of it included soldering a spark plug to a pipe fitting...

IMG_20160516_100341594_zps0hmizaza.jpg

OK, I got some rough shaping done to the handle tonight. I wanted to get the handle about 90% shaped before I do the final assembly. Now that I am there, I will finish the polish the blade, figure out how to finish the guard, solder the guard in place, and pin the handle on.

I used the thick end of a hickory pickaxe handle for the wood. It is tough cutting an irregular shape out of something that is already irregular.

IMG_20160514_082925457_zpsq91qrspw.jpg

I drilled and burned in the tang hole, and then cut a tenon on the pommel end for the pommel cap. I didn't feel like cutting the insulator off the spark plug, so I counter-bored the pommel end of the handle so that the insulator would fit inside. Then epoxied the whole thing together. After that I started rough shaping...

IMG_20160518_194204395_zpsor4pvlib.jpg

IMG_20160518_194306960_zps713iilzw.jpg

I happen to have a 3/16" hex broach, so I am going to broach a hex shaped pin hole and use apiece of an allen wrench for the pin. I'm also going to stain the hickory quite a bit darker. I'm not a fan of blond woods.

Nice, I love how you've really taken the hardware store theme to the max! Please use something gross like used motor oil or grease while darkening the handle, I feel like that would be the prefect finishing touch to one of the weirdest knives ever made!

... Please use something gross like used motor oil or grease while darkening the handle, I feel like that would be the prefect finishing touch to one of the weirdest knives ever made!

Well now, that is something I hadn't considered yet. I grew up in a fine woodworking shop so the idea of slapping used motor oil on a piece of wood, even an ugly hunk of hickory, makes my skin crawl.

However, that sort of hard use patina would be just right for this knife...

DO IT MAN!

-Gabriel

Maybe a light coat of something gross, motor oil or soot or something then wipe it mostly off, then a linseed oil finish? Just brain storming, obviously do what you think would be best! :D

Lol, the spark plug and pipe fitting! Just seeing that made me chuckle. That wood is quite nice!

Well, I got the guard cleaned up and soldered into place, and the handle epoxied on. The pin is made from a piece of a 3/16" allen wrench. I also finished the final sanding of the handle and stained it. I'll use the motor oil idea to create some patina on the handle to make it look like it has been gripped by dirty hands for a few decades. Then I'll patina the pipe fitting somehow.

I'm going to paint the baby Wonder Bar back to it's original yellow and black, but the part of the guard made from the bolt head will remain natural.

Once all that is done, I'll take a few finals pulls down the blade with some 600 grit to finish up the satin finish and sharpen it.

Still trying to figure out the sheath...

IMG_20160521_190736475_zpsmjiynkqd.jpg

IMG_20160521_190707070_zpsefe9xlnq.jpg

HOT DAMN THAT IS SLICK!

Sorry about that....

-Gabriel

Lovely and weird in the best way!

I got a good start on the sheath this weekend. I started by making a thin wood core using some 1/32" veneer. Then I wrapped the core with some cotton cord, and impregnated the whole thing with some auto-body fiberglass repair resin. Once the resin had set, I cut out part of an old pair of jeans to use as a over-wrap.

I actually buy my work jean at the local farm store (much to my daughters' dismay) so the jeans are a legit add on. I bought the bass-wood veneer at the local hobby shop so that pushed the rules a tad, but well within what I believe the spirit of the build to be :)

IMG_20160530_101456886_zps9jaxcuya.jpg

IMG_20160530_101510960_zpsmuq6zhg0.jpg

IMG_20160530_121808315_zps27swbw3k.jpg

IMG_20160530_134650277_zpsgcgqavao.jpg

IMG_20160530_162941729_zps879laanj.jpg

Sorry for the head turn on the last pic. Must have had the phone upside down.

I still need to figure out how I am going to dress up the sewn edge of the denim, and how to finish off the sheath opening.

OK, I am ready to call it quits on this one. In am less satisfied with my fit and finish than usual, hopefully y'all don't kick me out of the club. My shop time will be very limited for the next few weeks, but if I get some time to clean up some of the flaws, I will.

Also, if I get some time, I'll try to finish the sheath, but as it stands, someone will get most of a scabbard that needs some finish details and a suspension. Since the sheath was optional. I'll try to not feel like I am letting anyone down on that one.

Overall, it turned out to have more charm that I thought was possible. It also hacked surprisingly far into that hunk of 2-year old cherry I took the pics on. Let me know what ya'll think...

IMG_4038_zps7d36rhj9.jpg

IMG_4039_zpspbj0trxs.jpg

IMG_4042_zpsm0ht4erd.jpg

IMG_4043_zpsd81qvgk2.jpg