Wrought Iron and 1084 Socketed Chisel

Tim Tracey

Hey Guys,

I work slow as its usually in short spurts, an hour here an hour there. But eventually I do get a project finished. I made this as a gift to my girlfriends dad for his birthday. He's a very talented woodworker and someone whom I respect very much.

The billet is made of 1800's wrought iron and some 1084 a friend of mine gave me. This was my first attempt at a chisel and at forging a socket. Which was a greater challenge than I had imagined! I did however get to use my swage block for the first time since I picked it up.

At the last minuted I decided to whip up a quick cover for the chisel, not sure if he'll even use it. I think he likes it too much to use, which is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I'm flattered but I really want to see it be used to create his own art.

The measurements are approximately 3/4 inch wide and about 4 inches long to the socket, and I don't recall the socket size. I was rushed to gift it and forgot to measure that part.

All in all it was a great project and a woodworker friend of mine has already commissioned a few chisels for his own shop.

It's a great journey, well worth the steep learning curve.

Thanks for looking.

-Tim

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

very nice, It needs using , nothin more fun than watching a fine edge roll up wood shavings.

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Beautifully done!

James Helm - Helm Enterprises, Forging Division

Come see me at the Blade Show! Table 26R.

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/