Sign in to follow this  
Alveprins

Two simple San-mai Hunters

I feel I've had quite a productive week!

After a complete failure (serious delamination) where I had to discard the entire blade, I felt kinda out of it... However - I pulled myself together and finished an old knife I had forgotten all about, and also decided to finish a new knife design I've been working on...

Hunter A:

This one is kind of improvized actually. I started making this one - then my belt grinder broke down - and I put it aside. I only resumed work on it after I broke another knife I actually cared about finishing.

Wood is Buckeye Burl, steel is my usual steel, san-mai lamination and differentially hardened.

Hunter A 01.jpg

Hunter A 02.jpg

Hunter A 03.jpg

Hunter B:

This is my interpetation of a Puukko knife. I though all those regular designs here in Norway were so boring - I decided to go with a full tang version... So, yeah.. Perhaps its not a puukko at all... haha! :lol:

Wood is 2800 year old bog-oak from Russia. Blade is made from old wrought iron I found on my property. (probably more than a 100 years old...) and modern #20 steel. The unusual wrought iron made a tough time for me, and I got some delamination and stuff due to - I suppose - not using high enough heat while forge welding. I was not aware I needed super high temperature for wrought iron. But now I know better! ^_^

Anyhow, threw this one away - then regretted doing so - and decided to instead actually finish it. I love how the acid reacted with the iron... Gave incredible contrast.

Hunter B 01.jpg

Hunter B 02.jpg

Hunter B 03.jpg

I am going to drop these two babies off at a saddle-maker for sheaths. I still lack the neccesary equipment for leatherworking - but I suppose I will order a bunch of stuff off E-bay soon enough. :)

Any critique is as always sincerely welcome!

Sincerely, Alveprins.

the blades look great to me. I like handles like the first one more than I do handles like the second one, but that is not to say anything at all is wrong with the second shape. Many people like the tapering instead of flaring at the end, and it is good to make a variety.

those knives look good, and like they should work and be comfortable to hold. As I said, I like a little beefier handle (wider, not necessarily thicker, I can't tell). But, other considerations, like weight and ease of carry, may make this design the best for their intended purpose. Hope that makes sense, I am not very eloquent this early. Or ever...

very cool knives. thanks for sharing.

...I like handles like the first one more than I do handles like the second one, but that is not to say anything at all is wrong with the second shape. Many people like the tapering instead of flaring at the end, and it is good to make a variety.

Thank you. :)

Interestingly though, colleagues at work told me the second one rested best in the hand. I think it is because it has more belly, where as the first one has none. ^_^

Edited by Alveprins