San Mai? Hunter

I haven't been on forums much lately but have decided to rejoin the world of the living. Here's one I made a little while ago. I don't know if it really counts as "San Mai" because it's 5 layers (3 of 1084 & 2 of 15N20) or just a really low layer count pattern weld. 4 1/2" blade, 9 1/2" overall. Copper guard and buttcap. The handle is Oosik and polished stag. Thanks for looking.

Dave

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

... I don't know if it really counts as "San Mai" because it's 5 layers (3 of 1084 & 2 of 15N20)...

Well, any layre count can be considere san-mai as long as you have a edge steel sandwitched ibetween that folded steel. If there are 5 layers with no "middle steel" on the other hand, I suppose it would be more apropriately called a low layer pattern welded blade. ^_^

It looks nice btw. I am not a huge fan of low layer counts though, but stil is still a most striking blade. I love the nice polish of the handle as well. Good stuff. ;)

Call it "go-mai" (five layer).

Keep you outta copyright trouble B)

Beautiful knife, by the way.

Call it "go-mai" (five layer).

Keep you outta copyright trouble B)

Beautiful knife, by the way.

Thanks. Figures- I post a blade with the "controversial" S/M label then read about that whole mess.