James Higson

Double Twisted Core Sword - Finished

Dear All,

Thank you all for your help and advice through the last few years of me having a bash at this forging malarky. This is my latest offering, a pattern welded core broadsword with bronze pommel and forged steel crossguard. This has been on the shelf for 6 months as there were so many little problems with it that it made me cringe every time I looked at it. I decided to make one last big push to finish and it doesn't look half bad. There are still lots of little issues with it but I am happy I finally got it out of my mind!

Cheers,

James

IMG_2013 (533x800).jpg

IMG_2012 (533x800).jpg

IMG_2011 (533x800).jpg

IMG_2010 (533x800).jpg

IMG_2009 (533x800).jpg

IMG_2005 (533x800).jpg

IMG_2003 (800x533).jpg

I like it. What is the balance like?

Thanks! Balance is about the mid-point of the slot in the fuller :)

Nice save! If I remember right, the slot in the fuller was, a suprise? :P But man, that steel is striking. Nicely done. As to the handle I think it could be a little more curvy? It's a little squarish for my tastes.

Haha! 'Surprise' is a nice way to put it! Indeed it was, an unpleasant one. I was trying to make the handle flow into the hexagonal pommel but it came out a bit angular. Do you mean a bit more of a double palm swell kind of thing maybe?

Yes sir. Or a tapering of thickness from guard to pommel. Although, I don't make swords... so my opinion doesn't mean much. Ha.

yes, good save. The sword blade looks great. The slot is a good idea as a save, and makes this obviously a fantasy design.

Please forgive me for saying that I am not a fan of the pommel shape. However, I am a huge fan of the amount of work and skill that you put into that thing, and I am sure that your next sword will come along more easily than this one did.

I had a dao that I got to the final grinding and polishing stage, only to find a two-inch-long flux inclusion right at the cutting edge. No design change possible. I believe that my friend Ricky cut that sword up into a couple of bowie knives.

My point - last minute design changes and hidden problems are just part of the game. You did a great job on this.

Thank you Mr Professor! I agree with the pommel, before I attached it I kind of liked it. When attached, functionally it is annoying, pointy edges against your hand. It's lucky the handle is effectively 2.5 hands so doesn't always irritate me. I learnt so much from this that hopefully next time I make a sword it won't be so heartbreaking :D I think I'll definitely stick to knives for a little while and recharge.

Good job James!

(I am not a sword-smith so I will refrain from offering a critique.)