need help buying an anvil

ethanknott

I am planning to invest in an anvil fairly soon, and I'm not really sure what to get. Is a new anvil worth it or should I hunt for an old anvil? What brands are good and which are wastes of money? Where do you buy new anvils? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

What's your price range? In general you want a minimum of 70 pounds or so for bladesmithing (50's ok I think?). Older does /not/ mean worse, just look up the brand once you find one. It's faster to buy new, but usually cheaper and just as good of quality (although it'll probably need some cleaning up) to find one locally. Expect them to run $3-$4 a pound, but it's very possible to find one locally for extremely cheap or free. I got my Peter Wright for about $250-$300, at like 95 pounds, from a local dealer. Since then through poking around and just randomly coming across things, I've found over twenty anvils within a half hour drive radius.

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

You could always just use a block of steel instead of worrying about a 'real' anvil. I started with a chunk of rail and used it for a few years before I found my little Fisher.

Michael Cochran

http://oldworldanvils.com/

If i didnt own an anvil i would purchase a 4x4 block of steel and build a solid mount to connect it with earth/ so it doesnt move hardly at all. A 500 lb anvil wont function nearly as well as a 100 lb one that has been properly mounted. The dispersion of work is allowed to go every where else instead of into the work i.e. wobbles, anvil walking etc

My main anvil is a 7X8X10" block of H13 that I go from a steel supplier on Ebay. As I recall, it ran me $140 shipped, admittedly that was only half way across Illinois. Best anvil I ever had; it puts most of it's mass below the work instead of hanging out over the ends where I don't use it. You could also check with Old World Anvils. They carry 4X4" 4140 stock that they'll cut to length for you. I know that blocks don't have horns but there are ways to work around that if you need one which is really not all that often.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Check eBay and Craigslist, usually you can find one like was said 3 to 4 dollars a pound. I honestly use my Farriers anvil it's about 60 pounds. It's hollow but I filled it with silicone and put some magnets on it and I like it better then my friends 100 pounder. So as you're looking, look into farrier anvils also. I think I got mine a few years ago for 150-200 and it's comparable to a 100 pound one. Since no one else has said it yet, just stay away from the harbor freight anvils, I've never used one but have read on here other guys say they are junk.

Since no one else has said it yet, just stay away from the harbor freight anvils, I've never used one but have read on here other guys say they are junk.

This is true. Do not buy any anvil-shaped object from any cheap tool import company. ANY of them. Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Enco, Grizzly, etc. They are plain cast iron and a waste of your time, money, and effort.

Hook up with FABA (Florida Artists Blacksmith Association) and the Alabama guys too since you're up on the panhandle. They will know who might be selling an anvil they've outgrown, plus if you join the group and go to meeting you'll actually get some hands-on learning experience. This will cut years off the learning curve.

I can attest to the 4x4 anvils from old world anvils. They cut me a 4x4x9.75 piece and i's working very well for my smaller work.

Great price, product, and they are a joy to work with.

When considering an anvil for knife smithing remember that the cutler/sawyers anvil was basically just a block of steel or a steel faced block of iron.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!