Sign in to follow this  
Robert D.

Kith WIP

Yep, both Tractor Supply and Northern Hardware carry leaf springs! You're still in.

So its not cheating. even better.....

Dang it, now I wish I would have taken today off in addition to taking yesterday off work,....

I won't be in to work today, there's a problem with my eyes.

I just can't see myself going to the office............

BUAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH.........

I will have to use that one on my boss next time im looking to be a smart arse.... which is pretty much every day.

Here is attempt number 2, basic rough forged. Will be taking it to the grinder a bit tonight. Hope to have it cleaned up and ready to harden and temper by Sunday.

On a positive note, I was able to keep the tang close enough a match to the other one that I can use the guard I made for the first one.

20160622_083437.jpg

Got one side sanded and beveled today, broke my last 40g belt so I finished it up with a new 80g belt and that sucked, tomorrow ill be going to get a few more 40g belts so I can finish up the other side tomorrow, Hopefully I can get it ready to be hardened and tempered by Sunday.

20160624_201158.jpg

I am pulling for you on this one!

I will be under the wire myself... nothing like you though! :lol:

-Gabriel

Got one side of the blade sanded up to 500g, Need to balance knife work with housework, so I will go do a few loads of dishes and then get back to sanding the other side.

I decided to take it up to 500g pre heat treat, because I didnt see the cracks in the other one at 220g, So I am going to sand it all the way up to 500 g so if this pain in the neck decides to crack on me, Ill know it the moment I go to clean off the oil.

20160626_122313.jpg

Here is the knife with the guard slid on, didnt have to do much work to get the tang to fit the guard.

20160626_122357.jpg

Still needs some fine tuning to get the fit a bit better. But its getting there.

20160626_122420.jpg

Should be hardening and tempering this tonight.

Edited by Robert D.

Got this hardened and its first two rounds of tempering done last night.

Going to temper it one more time tonight, and then start the flurry of cleanup, also hardened the guard but as I still need to drill holes in the piece for the butt plate, I will harden that one tonight after I fully decide how I am going to shape the handle.

Its going to be CLOSE.... but here is to hoping to pulling it off.

Got the knife fully tempered and somewhat cleaned up last night.

20160629_073059.jpg

Didnt get pics, but I have the handle started to be rough shaped. When I come home from work today, I will be drilling out the handle, drilling out the butt plate piece and the guard spacer, Then I will harden and temper the spacer and the plate while I finish shaping the handle tonight.

Tomorrow, I will be etching the three pieces, throwing a finish sand on the blade, and gluing it all up.

If all goes as planned, I should be done before the deadline. its going to be close. but I should be able to get it all done.

So, It needs a few more coats of Linseed oil on the handle still, and a bit of finish sanding on the blade due to it picking up a couple scratches and some minor epoxy dabs while doing some handle gluing and shaping ( i need MUCH better tape then electrical tape to tape things up )

Tomorrow once those are done, I will be sharpening it and it will be done.

Honestly, I am not super happy with it, I know I could have done better on this. I had to remake the handle piece after my first one cracked, However, I AM proud to admit that whoever ends up getting this knife, will have the first two pieces of successful pattern welding steel I have ever made. Its nothing fancy by any means, but I was at least able to meet that minimum I set for myself.

20160706_230108.jpg

20160706_230118.jpg

20160706_230139.jpg

20160706_230221.jpg

Again, I apologize for whoever draws my name, Its not my best work, But it should at least be serviceable in actual use, I would infact prefer this thing go out and live a hard life, because its certainly not a pretty perfect art piece by any means.

I know exactly how you feel.

That being said, I don't think you have anything to apologize for. The main idea I had for this KITH was to push us in directions we don't normally go or think.

Many of us see the raw product, bar stock, wood scales and move them into what they become. IMHO, it's harder to look at a finished product and see what else it could be. I believe the word I am looking for is resourceful.

As bladesmiths or blacksmiths we need that foresight. Look at all the posts on this forum about building a forge out of one thing or another, or different ways to make a bladesmiths anvil.

One last thing... Who in their right mind wants to use a perfect professionally made knife in the field? All of us here make knives, we know what is involved, and I for one what a knife a bladesmith made that I will use, not throw on a shelf just to be admired.

So you did great!

-Gabriel

• Like 1

I think we all have gripes about our own work, ESPECIALLY when we go out of our comfort zone. I tend to try things I have never done before during KITHs not just because it is fun, but because the format of the activity lends very well to it. Last year, I made my puukko out of my first real successful pattern welded billet - yay! Also, it turned out more like a tanto than a puukko - nay! This year, I tried to make a hand guard out of a wrench and it didnt work at all so I had to scrap that idea mostly. I also made a double-edged bowie, something I have never done before and because I kept screwing up the grind it turned out a little thinner than I wanted. Such is life when you are experimenting!

We are all building up to being better smiths. There is absolutely nothing to apologize for.

• Like 1

Great job Robert! Nice damascus fittings btw. I wouldn't mind taking a knife like that into the bush for a few days. It looks like it would be a great chopper and there is nothing fancy that makes you cringe when you use it. Perfect! Pulling through is the hardest part about it really, just not giving up. And I agree, we all dislike things about our own work even if no one else ever notices. This KITH was more a mix of imagination, perseverence, and ingenuity than anything professional :P Besides, we all understand that none of us are truely happy ;)