Robert Burns

Take-Down Camp Chopper WIP

More pictures please! Beautiful work Robert. You manage to make knives that look like refined rustic for lack of a better term. Great stuff :)

Thanks for the kind compliments everyone, I know it turned out pretty well in the end. The reason I say it turned out okay is because of what it could have been, so even though it turned into a pretty cool knife it isn't even close to what I wanted for it. But thank you all for the support and encouragement. My next attempt of the integral will hopefully be better.

I understand how you feel Robert, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a fantastic knife. Definitely need more pics!

Such a beautiful knife. I really love the guard!

yeah, sometimes they fight us, and it makes iit difficult to perceive the successes. Still,that pic makes it look like a great knife. takedown or not, it rocks!

Congratulations on a job well done, struggle builds character anyway :P

Wow! Now THAT's a knife!

Robert, I apologize for coming to the party so late, as it were.

This was a really good project to read through and see how you developed your design implementation and watch as you rebounded to the bumps in the road. Good work man. That knife may not be what you envisioned, but you still came through.

I often wonder about the process of adapting the knife to different designs along the construction process.

Part of me thinks I should stick to my design and make it happen, or else I never achieve that "new" thing I'm working on. So sometimes I trash the part that didn't work and make another one.

Part of me believes that once the blade is heat treated, it has some sort of life, conscience, soul, (whatever) of its own and it is telling me what it wants to be, or sometimes what it doesn't want to be! So sometimes I go with the flow and let the knife guide me. Those times I take that blade and lay it on a piece of paper and trace the outline. Then I go about redesigning it all over again.

Sometimes the three strikes rule is the game changer. If I screw something up three times, I stop and redesign.

Anyway, it's a beauty and I wish you had posted some of the WIP photos of the handle.

That is why I almost never start with a design, I start with an idea but not a true design, then after the blade has taken shape I will sit down and design all other aspects of the blade

Conner, there is no "right" way to do this, but I have found that the only way to push myself to attempt new things and push my limits is to start with a design that is outside my comfort level. That includes my forging skills. If I work via the method you suggested, I would never push myself to increase my forging skills, and certainly not my design skills. I would forever be depending on that client showing up and asking me to create something I haven't done yet. Then I end up with all the pressure of learning something new and experimenting under the time restrictions of a commission. I hate that.........it feels too much like a job. :o

I used to work very organically, starting with a forged blade and then designing/making it piecemeal as I went along. I wasn't progressing very quickly. It was only after I took the suggestion to start with a full design first, that my skill set really began to progress. All these methods have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I think it is best not to lock yourself into one method. I like having a quiver full of arrows rather than a quiver with only a couple of them. ;)

• Like 1