Jake Reese

horizontal forge build & burners

Hi I'm building a forge that will be 8"dia x 14" long. Just wanted to get some opinions and feedback on the burner setup. Right now I have a vertical forge with venturi burner, plan to move to forced air once I get a blower. For the small horizontal forge I'm building I plan to line with 2" Inswool, 1/2" Kast-o-Lite 30 refractory. That means chamber is approx. 5.5" dia x 14" long (was thinking of just using firebrick as the front and rear doors). Will not be welding with this forge, only forging blades for now.

So my question is, since this is 14" long, should I:

A.) use two venturi burners

B.) one forced air burner

***Also I had considered cutting the pipe or making a "plug" from insulation/refractory for the back of forge, so as to make the chamber a little smaller. I'm worried 14" long forge is little too long, but maybe I'm wrong....

Thank you!

Why do you want a forge as long as that? I use a forge about that size for welding, since my tools can work an 18" heat, but I use a vertical forge with about a 5-6 inch burn for forging pretty much everything else including swords.

Geoff

I would use 1 Venturi. You should still be able to weld with it even though you never plan on it. One Venturi is good to weld up to 350 cubic inches. With yours being approximately 241, one Venturi is plenty of burner. Two would likely be a bit of overkill and would use more gas than is really needed. TBH though, I'm partial to Venturi systems. Depending on where you live it may not be a viable option.

I agree Geoff, I was concerned it might be a little too long. I was given 8"x14" pic of pipe, but could cut it down no problem (angle grinder) :( ..... LOL. What do you think might be a good length to go for? Only reason for the build was bc I like to build them and thought it would be nice to have a small forge a step up from my little two brick.

Josh I'm in the same boat, only worked with Venturis. Think I might just use my single burner and save the forced air for the larger vertical forge

Check out the attachment Build a Gas Forge at the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com for how I like to build a good, efficient, long lasting forge.

Let me know if I can help you.