Wrought iron + 1%C steel damascus?

O! That's nice blade!

I do weld steel + wrought sometimes, and this is truth: sometimes it snaps, and sometimest it's ok. Depends on wrought.

(ho it looks like you can see here http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33579 )

And about the fire inlay. It is axactley how the "Ulvberht" inscriptions were made. You carve the groove, put some wire into it, and forge weld.

• Like 1

Alright... Thanks for all the feedback.

Unfortunately it is too late to do any hot-work on it - but most of the voids are gone after grinding.. At least on one side of the knife. :P

Here is a picture from the good side...:

Hausakljufr 001.jpg

There's a twist to the blade though. The spine is straight, but the blade edge twists somewhat to the left.. but there's nothing I can do about that now. I will just have to finish it - twist and all.

Next time I need to be more careful removing the exact amount of metal from each side of the knife. I should get a jig of some kind... <_<:lol:

I think that came out smokin'! I especially like the contrast between the spine layer count and the edge bar count. The edge bar looks really nice.

As for removing the same amount of metal from each side of the knife and getting a jig of some sort, a center line scribe tool is pretty easy to make from scrap.

center scribe_opt.jpg

• Like 1

I think that came out smokin'! I especially like the contrast between the spine layer count and the edge bar count. The edge bar looks really nice.

As for removing the same amount of metal from each side of the knife and getting a jig of some sort, a center line scribe tool is pretty easy to make from scrap.

Yeah, I will be making a jig for my next knife. This one has a twist in it towards the tip... it's noticeable if you line up the knife with a background and look down the length of it. Spine is straight though, just a twist in the edge. A mistake I shall not make again.

I've been watching some YouTube video on DIY jigs - and I think I'll go for one of the easy ones. ;)