Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

Strange tool

Brandon, did you just say that or think it :blink:

Looks like some sort of user built mechanism for power feeding material into a rotating tool.

Definitely not a rifle barrel boring tool. I don't know what the crank is for since it does not appear to be hooked to anything at the moment, but the other end has a sliding platform worked by a rope attached the the treadle. I can't see what's under the sliding part. If it's a screen it would be a grain separator, if it's a rack of blades it would be a kraut cutter. The apparently superfluous crank is confusing...

it looks like that board on the right is a foot pedal? You step on it and it moves something over that hole? Not enough pictures to figure out whats going on :(

it looks like that board on the right is a foot pedal? You step on it and it moves something over that hole? Not enough pictures to figure out whats going on :(

That's the treadle that Alan referred to. The rope is attached to that and it slides the flat board across the top. I'm thinking that the handle crank is missing a differential gear of some sort and is used to return the flat board to the left end of the table.

I'm starting to think that that it's a machine (like a grain separator, or a cabbage cutter, apple masher?) that has been adapted to bench that was some other sort of tool. The sled and treadle is one thing (the block on the sled is a weight to add force to the slicer thingee) The crank is from some other thing that the bench was used for. The crank wasn't in the way, so they left it.

Geoff

Almost reminds me of an automated type of those cards a spinner uses to align the wool before spinning it into thread. I love guessing games like this; the hardest part is getting your mind out of the modern era.

Edited by VaughnT