nprovos

Wurmbunte Klingen - Studien zu Konstruktion, Herstellung und Wertigkeit der frühmittelalterlichen Spatha in Westfalen

wurmbunt.jpg

This is a new book on the construction of 6th - 8th century swords. Here is my somewhat fixed Google translation of the abstract:

"The double-edged sword, called spatha, was already in the Middle Ages not only a highly effective weapon, but also an outstanding status symbol and even a magical artifact. Theodoric the Great praised the quality of swords with "curling worms" that pointed to a complicated forge-welded construction of the blades. The once magnificent weapons are usually recovered during excavations as rusted and corroded objects from early medieval graves. Using 3D X-ray computed tomography, Ulrich Lehmann started to gain new insights into the structure of 32 swords of the 6th to 8th century AD and was even able reconstruct the once visible complicated pattern welding. The execution of this pattern served the contemporary viewer as a testimony of the quality of the weapon and the craftsmanship of the early medieval blacksmith. In addition, the shimmering welding pattern conveyed more important meaning in the historic imagination: they were closely intertwined with a serpent symbolism that threatens the enemy and protects the sword carrier."

I have not seen it yet but it seems like it might be quite interesting.

Looks like there's a copy for under 50 bucks in the USA at an amazon seller, I'll pick it up, even though i cant read much german =) Once I get it I'll post a review from the "i have it but cant read much of the text without typing it into google translate" perspective

Please, please, tell us about it. I can't read German (I envy those of you who speak multiple languages. I can make my way reading Spanish, but there don't seem to be any Spanish scholars working on swords that are writing books).

Anyway, if it is like Iron and Steel Swords of China, then language won't be a barrier. As long as I can figure out how to read, "centimeter, meter, gram..." in German.

Thanks for this.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Even without being able to read this.... get a copy if you can find it =D It's FULL of radiographs and high resolution photos and meteographical slices and etches.... it's awesome and i cant read a page of it !!

I just got it in the mail, too, and it's quite impressive.

Here is an example page:

book-small.jpg