Hello,

Please see my recent work - historical tools hand forged from carbon steel, wood - oak, fully operational.

Thank you

Jacek

_DSC0131aa.jpg

_DSC0008a.jpg

_DSC0004a.jpg

_DSC0331.JPG

_DSC0328.JPG

_DSC0325.JPG

_DSC0143aa.jpg

_DSC0139aa.jpg

_DSC0138aa.jpg

_DSC0327a.jpg

Edited by Jacek Robotka
links for photos no longer available
  • Like 1

That's super cool! I also love the plane.

• Like 1

I love tools making and using, I generally don't do pretty on things I make to use my self. But these are some fine looking tools!

• Like 1

I don't usually do much refinement on the tools I make for myself, but I really enjoy making them. Those look great.

I tend to use old files for stock, since I go through an inordinate number of files each year. They make great chisels and punches.

The attention to detail and loving care on each tool really shows.

• Like 1

Nice assortment of tools! Noticed that you made a socket for the chisel. Is the socket forged from the same bar of steel as the rest of the chisel? Not sure how many times I started to make a draw knife but it never did happen.

Hello,

The socket and chisel is forged from one piece of steel.

The drawing knife was my first one :)

Great tools !

Do you have any pictures/infos on the originals ? :)

Thank you.

Yes I have. Please see pictures below that have been takem in Kopenhagen Museum ;)

_DSC0143_zps5nmgoj6a.jpg

_DSC0145_zps12wzewsz.jpg

Oseberg_zpsujvogzvq.jpg

Thank you

That's very interesting what tools were available in viking era. I'm really impressed by a hack saw! I'm trying to work out how they made a thin blade of high carbon steel with so tiny teeth and successfully heat treated it! I must have been a real high tech at that time.

Great work Jacek!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That's very interesting what tools were available in viking era. I'm really impressed by a hack saw! I'm trying to work out how they made a thin blade of high carbon steel with so tiny teeth and successfully heat treated it! I must have been a real high tech at that time.

Great work Jacek!

The blade is from shop I am afraid, because I wanted for future user to be able to exchange the blade for the ones available in shops.

However I am in process of hand making blade and will show here shortly. The process of making thin blade is possible by using rolling mill and the hardening process is possible by using special metal frame, that keep the blade in tense.

im trying to figure out how you get the blade in that hack saw! very nice

The frame of the hack saw is a bit bigger then the blade, so it keeps the blade tense. Attaching the blade is possible thereby that the rivets have shape of small hooks.

Thank you