Kaowool for forge Question

I am going to be building my own propane forge because of the incredulous timing of a drought here which means no solid-state fuels can be burned for who knows how long :I It's a PITA to deal with... Anywho, I am thinking of building it out of a propane tank with a blown-burner. My only real question is, how much Kaowool do I need to order?? I just don't want to order too little, but I was thinking that maybe 10 ft^2 should be enough. Are there any threads I should read or look into before i actually consider building this? I have read into the blown burners and basic forge set-up, but I am happy to hear any word of advice!

Should I go vertical or horizontal? I won't be working with anything bigger than ~20" for the foreseeable future, and I want to dip my feet into the pool of PW'ing.... what do you guys think?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks guys :)

i just bought 25' x 2' wide roll for 58 bucks on ebay. 2300f 1" kaowool + shipping. Plenty for the first forge and left overs for foundry or a vertical AND a horizontal!

Check out my attachments at the Forge Supplies page on my web site. You can see how I like to build a gas forge. For a 20# propane tank forge I suggest 2' of Inswool, four 5# bags of Kast-0-Lite and one pint of either Plistix or Metrikote Infrared Reflective product. If you are going to go blown see the Ribbon Burner attachment.

Let me know if I can help you.

Tmothy you really dont need to go blown, we have a venturi burner that we made real cheap and last night we had it so hot almost burning the steel. did lots of damascus forge welding no prob. Had 6psi propane into it. We have a simple firebrick setup that we lined with 1" of kaowool. You should be able to get that in edmonton. Ours came from a pottery place in regina but I know that it came from edmonton. just look up refrax. Wayne Coe has lots of good info too. If you have any exposed kaowool a blown forge will just melt it. Been der dundat.

@Wayne, I wouldn't mind going in this direction, but is there any way to get Kast-O-Lite or a similar alternative in Canada? because shipping that up here will be twice as much as buying it... And in your opinion, for a forge of this size, is venturi or blown better? I have no preference whatsoever, and I just want to make something that I know works!

@Dave, I have heard venturi are harder to size to a forge, but blown is easier to operate, once again, no experience, just what I have read into. And thanks for the tip on not leaving kaowool exposed. I was also ordering some refactory as well to coat it, but I didn't know what would happen if I didn't!

Thanks guys :) I will keep looking into it all!

Timothy I am in the same boat with you. I'm planning / making my first forge out of a propane tank and plan to build a blown propane burner. I ordered 8 sqft of inswool, 10lbs of satanite and 3 one inch hard fire bricks. I don't know exactly how this will come together but that's the plan I'm proceeding with now.

Timothy, you are correct about the shipping to Canada. I can ship the Kast-0-Lite and Metrikote in a Medium Flat Rate Box for shipping of $24.95. Hopefully you could source the ceramic blanket locally. Shipping the blanket would cost that much again in shipping, assuming that I could stuff 2' of blanket into a medium box.

Let me know if I can help you. You can contact me by e-mail waynecoe@highland.net.

• 6 months later...

I bought a roll of 1 inch wool in Edmonton for $80 CAD a couple years ago I think the company was inproheat or something like that let me know if you can't find it and I'll look it up also pottery supply places often have refractory supplies

@Wayne, I wouldn't mind going in this direction, but is there any way to get Kast-O-Lite or a similar alternative in Canada? because shipping that up here will be twice as much as buying it... And in your opinion, for a forge of this size, is venturi or blown better? I have no preference whatsoever, and I just want to make something that I know works!

Looks like Anthony has the deal for you on the blanket. I like the blown Ribbon Burner. I use about 1/2# of pressure and forge weld with no flux. Saves wear and tear on the forge and fewer inclusions in billets. But which is better, well, that is kinda like asking how long is a string. There are advantages and disadvantages for both. I used venturi burners until I got the Ribbon Burner. I have more control over the heat, atmosphere and use less gas. The Ribbon Burner forge requires more work and will probably be more expensive to build when you add the cost of the blower.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

For anyone who is interested in building a ribbon burner, here is a copy of Hot Iron news from 2005 with pictures and a step-by-step by John Emmerling. Turn to page 11. Hot Iron News-Ribon burner edition.pdf

I have done this exact method (except I used greased wood dowels instead of crayons) and it works great.

For your forge, 1 inch of refractory blanket is supposedly better than 2 inches because the refractory doesn't start reflecting heat at full potential until itself reaches a certain temperature. So, that's extra fuel & heat you are using to heat the blanket before the blanket starts to work. That's the theory anyway. I didn't know this before I built my forge and ribbon burner so I used 2 inches of blanket inside and covered it with Satanite. It gets to welding heat in 7 minutes. It is horizontal, but my previous blown burner (a 2 inch pipe) was in a vertical forge and operated much the same, only used more fuel (bigger forge and the ribbon is much more economical anyway) and got to welding heat in about 10 minutes.

Times are for a billet measuring 23 layers, 5-6 inches long, 1-1/2 inches wide, and 3 inches tall.

Running

forge running opt.jpg

Just after turning it off.

Forge off opt.jpg