Darren Ellis

Wrought Iron, Bubble Alumina, Hard Firebricks,

As of June 20, 2011, Ellis Custom Knifeworks has changed ownership. Same great products and then some, but the new owner is Wayne Suhrbier of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The new address is http://www.hightemptools.com

Just wanted to get the word out about some new items we've added to our inventory recently! We're now carrying Wrought Iron, Bubble Alumina Refractory coating, 1" thick Hard Firebricks, and Venturi Burner Kits.

Wrought Iron:

We are now carrying high quality wrought iron in the form of anchor chain links. We are selling these in full and half link sizes. This stuff forges out nicely to make furniture for your knives. In the near future, we plan to start carrying wrought iron in bar stock as well, so that the stock removal makers will be able to make use of this material too. Check the website for details!

Bubble Alumina Refractory:

This is the stuff to use with your Inswool (or any ceramic fiber blanket) lined forges to prevent damage from flux. This material is one of the most flux resistant refractory coatings we have found to date, and the feedback we have been receiving from everyone using it has been excellent. Finally, a solution to the problem of using flux in a forge lined with a ceramic fiber blanket insulation!

We are carrying this material in 2.5# and 5# bags. The 2.5# bag is enough to line the floor of a 12" vertical forge with a layer 3/8" thick. Use this material to line the floor of your vertical forges and around the openings of your doors or in your horizontal forges to line the floors.

1" thick hard firebricks:

By request we are now carrying 1" thick hard firebricks for use as sacrificial floors in your forge. These also work well as a heat barrier for use under your forges. These bricks are rated to 3000 degrees F.

Venturi Burner kits:

Also by request, we are now carrying Venturi burner kits! These kits come with everything you need to build a Venturi Burner including a stainless steel burner flare. All you need to do is add a propane regulator, POL fitting, and propane hose and you're ready to go. We also include detailed step-by-step assembly instructions with the burner kit.

For pricing and more information please see our website! As usual, we're always looking for ideas for materials you'd like to see us carry, so if there is something you'd like to see us pick up let us know!

-Darren and Kathryn Ellis

Edited by Alan Longmire
change of ownership

Thanks Darren, that bubble alumina sounds like just the ticket. All good items really and a devil to scare up on your own. You just might be hearing from me.

Thanks Darren, that bubble alumina sounds like just the ticket. All good items really and a devil to scare up on your own. You just might be hearing from me.

28638[/snapback]

Hey Don, sounds good and good to hear from you! We've been really pleased with this Bubble Alumina...been looking for a flux resistant refractory coating that can be used with Inswool for a long time, and this stuff seems to be the ticket.

I'll pack your order with some fresh home-roasted coffee like I brought to Batson's a couple of years ago. :)

-Darren

I want you to know that I have developed a very expensive coffee habit after that and after running out this weekend I was forced to buy my old coffee, Blech...I can't believe I use boil and drink that nasty stuff. Thanks again.

I want you to know that I have developed a very expensive coffee habit after that and after running out this weekend I was forced to buy my old coffee, Blech...I can't believe I use boil and drink that nasty stuff. Thanks again.

28673[/snapback]

LOL! Another one hooked! :) yep, I got Mike Alexander and Billy Bob Sowell hooked on the home coffee roasting gig too, and I'm slowly working on Joe Flourney. :) In a way it's great, but as you mention it also has its drawbacks too...when you run out of the good stuff, the stuff we once drank is no longer consumable... :)

-Darren

Would the Bubble Alumina Refractory work well for coating the soft firebrick too?

I make a little mini-kiln out of firebrick and sometimes have to use flux in them. It eats thru them in no time and then have to make another.

Would the Bubble Alumina Refractory work well for coating the soft firebrick too?

I make a little mini-kiln out of firebrick and sometimes have to use flux in them. It eats thru them in no time and then have to make another.

28752[/snapback]

While I haven't tried it with firebrick (yet), I don't see any reason at all why it wouldn't be fine to use on the floor of a firebrick kiln...

While I'm posting to this thread, let me add the following info for those who may be interested in some of the Bubble Alumina...I can ship up to 5 pounds of this stuff in the U.S. using the USPS Flat Rate Envelopes for $3.85...so shipping is very reasonable...

:)

-Darren

Hi All,

We've added a few new items to our product listing I wanted to tell you about. We have two new Insulating Castable Refractories on the site, Kast-O-Lite 26 and Kast-O-Lite 30. These are 2600 degree F and 3000 degree F insulating castable refractories respectively, which have a much better thermal conductivity rating than most castables. Please see our site for details.

We have also added a full sheet (24" x 36") option and custom cut size options for 1" and 1/2" Insboard refractory board.

Finally, we have added an option to the shopping cart which will allow you to select to pick up items at our shop in Knoxville, TN. if you're passing through the area!

We've got more new things coming this Spring, so keep an eye on the site!

http://Refractory.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com

-Darren & Kathryn Ellis

Ordered me a link of wrought! Should be fun to play with.

Only have a small bit left of what I have and it's wagon wheel, so should be better quality stuff.

Thanks!

Ordered me a link of wrought! Should be fun to play with.

Only have a small bit left of what I have and it's wagon wheel, so should be better quality stuff.

Thanks!

Thanks Beau, it's on the way! Looks like you got some right before we run out, only two half links left and no more supply lined up unfortunately. Thanks for your order, we appreciate it!

-Darren

I did find a site that sells some, but I'm wondering if they'll sell to the individual, as well as how much shipping would be as it's in england.

www.realwroughtiron.com

They use old recycled stuff. Maybe you could even resupply yourself through them. I've not used them yet, just found the link the other day looking for one I had found before, but couldn't find.

Just a quick note to let everyone know we've enabled online ordering for quenchants and high temperature salts on the website:

http://Refractory.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com

-Darren & Kathryn Ellis

Can you guys ship Satanite to Canada? Curious because the online thing doesn't list Canada as a country option.

Thanks,

Al

Can you guys ship Satanite to Canada? Curious because the online thing doesn't list Canada as a country option.

Thanks,

Al

Hi Al,

We are happy to ship to international destinations, just shoot me an email and I can work up a shipping quote for you, unfortunately our shopping cart currently doesn't have the functionality to do it automatically. Let me know if I can help in any way!

-Darren

Hi Al,

We are happy to ship to international destinations, just shoot me an email and I can work up a shipping quote for you, unfortunately our shopping cart currently doesn't have the functionality to do it automatically. Let me know if I can help in any way!

-Darren

For some reason my email won't go through to you. Would it be possible for me to put in an order online, just using a random state for my address?

My shipping address is:

Al Massey

Box 14, Site 16, RR#2

Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia

Canada B0N 1Z0

Thanks,

Al

p.s.- I'm actually looking into getting the bubble alumina stuff as a do a lot of welding, looking at the 2.5lb .

Hey Darren, I had sent an email but not sure if it reached you.

I was just curious what the history is (if you know it) on those ship chain wrought you'd been selling.

I was thinking of making up a little card detailing various stuff on some blades I'm selling that have it as guards, and thought I'd put a little info on the wrought on it.

Thanks

Hi Al,

-Darren

Darren, did you get the last message I posted?

Darren, did you get the last message I posted?

Hi Al,

Sorry, I got busy and forgot to check back in on this thread. :) Your idea is fine, go ahead and input any zip code into the cart and if the shipping comes out higher I'll send a Paypal invoice for the difference, and if it comes out less I can send a refund for the difference. Just be sure to put your shipping address in the notes section of the cart when you check out, that way when I run your invoice I've got it with the payment details.

I'm curious, you mentioned that you haven't been able to get an email through to me? Are you getting a bounce message? If so, could you copy-paste it into a PM through the forum to me? ...just want to check it to see if my account hosting is somehow bouncing messages back that should be getting through to me...it's happened in the past. Thanks! :)

-Darren

Well I had sent the one I sent using the contact info from website, I think it may have had your wife as the recipient?

Not certain. I didn't get any bounce message though.