• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Hoy's Forge

My new Hot Rod!

While removing some junk from my Dad's garage I encountered his battered old treadmill. He had tried to sell it and even give it away but no takers. Seeing that thing made me think of a big belt sander ..........well now , I had an old 4x36 homemade belt sander that some guy built in 1950 with a washing machine motor. There was no bearings in the rollers and I could easily stall it with any thing more than a light pressure....... What if I could ....OH yeah .I feel like Dr. Frankenstien . I remove the rollers and bearings from treadmill , shorten them, then replace the bearings , remount and install on old sander HA hah ha . I Then trash the old motor , cut out motor mount from treadmill and bolt it up to sander, reattach wireing ( hey theres a wireing diagram in the treadmill ) Mount the control panel on the table and ...varommm POWER ! IT'S ALIVE!! No more wimpy easily stalled sander, now it's unstoppable ( unless of course you turn it off)

Im now getting aerobic and burning fat while I grind on a blade. SO much torque even on slow burn , I can shape hardwood and not burn it black. This was too much fun. I might ask around if any other ex work out junkies close by have a monster in their closet ha ha ha!

DSC06496.JPG

DSC06497.JPG

DSC06498.JPG

DSC06499.JPG

DSC06500.JPG

Dr. Frankenstein, I presume!!!

Don't you just love it when you see something and that light bulb comes on and you can see the whole project in the blink of eye from start to finish!!!! It lends new meaning to, "one mans trash is another mans's treasure"!! :lol:

I am happy happy happy with it ! :D

While removing some junk from my Dad's garage I encountered his battered old treadmill. He had tried to sell it and even give it away but no takers. Seeing that thing made me think of a big belt sander ..........well now , I had an old 4x36 homemade belt sander that some guy built in 1950 with a washing machine motor. There was no bearings in the rollers and I could easily stall it with any thing more than a light pressure....... What if I could ....OH yeah .I feel like Dr. Frankenstien . I remove the rollers and bearings from treadmill , shorten them, then replace the bearings , remount and install on old sander HA hah ha . I Then trash the old motor , cut out motor mount from treadmill and bolt it up to sander, reattach wireing ( hey theres a wireing diagram in the treadmill ) Mount the control panel on the table and ...varommm POWER ! IT'S ALIVE!! No more wimpy easily stalled sander, now it's unstoppable ( unless of course you turn it off)

Im now getting aerobic and burning fat while I grind on a blade. SO much torque even on slow burn , I can shape hardwood and not burn it black. This was too much fun. I might ask around if any other ex work out junkies close by have a monster in their closet ha ha ha!

RAD!!! OUTSTANDING!!!

today i reworked my tracking system. I mounted the ideler roller shaft in two 1 1/2x3/4 aluminum blocks. the blocks are drilled thru to ride on all thred rods infront of a nut. by moving the right or left nut I can tighten or loosen the belt , or track it right and left! Put on a new ceramic 80 g belt and chew thru a hardened file like butter!