simple full tang hunters for friend's kids

Hello Everyone,

I am taking a break between jians. Actually, the customer doesn't want any pics of his jian posted, so I can only show the simpler stuff I am working on.

I have to admit, these sorts of knives are by far the most fun to make. I just love them. They are my favorite for hunting, too. I hope you like.

These are W2 and ziricote. I wish the whole board I had was the same as the top handle. Unfortunately, some of it is not.

180314ce-dc01-42b0-8a71-0d206618a8a9.jpg

63a7e984-8448-4843-909c-16002ca87411.jpg

35cc643e-e6a6-451f-8747-0bda85641965.jpg

ac09f4e1-5dca-454b-9a95-5486028220b5.jpg

Thanks for looking,

kc

Great looking knives! I agree about that style being really fun. When you have a pretty clear idea of the design you want, I find it a lot easier execute it faithfully with a full tang knife made by mostly or entirely stock removal. I also really enjoy making bolsters for full tang knives, especially dovetailed ones. Something about the disappearing pins is still a bit mystical and (at least to me) it looks very classy.

Nice solid great looking knives Professor! There is something to be said about a well executed simple design like these.

My thoughts exactly. It's the little things like the fact that the bolster pins are truly invisible that add up to making a great knife.

Great work Kevin :)

Kevin! Those look awesome! That hamon on the second one is weirdly bright and fuzzy to me, maybe it's the trick or the light. Either way I like emm both very much.

I am not sure what you mean. The hamon is a result from several etches in vinegar and ferric. Rubbed with silicon carbide.

hope that what you see is just the whit hamon from that etch.

The vinegar etch followed by silicon carbide rubbing (or pumice for a slightly cloudy look) gives that drastic white appearance. I think that is what struck you. Glad you like it. I heat treated these in my forge, because my shop isn't wired well enough to run my kiln. That means that I didn't get optimal control. In this case, I had them both too hot. The top one was especially too hot, which reduced the activity in the hamon.

I have lost some of my skills with just using a forge. I hope to get the shop wired this summer, and then the hamons will be back up to scratch.

thanks,

kc