what blade type would work best for this tang.

AndrewJohnKarow

Hey guys I've been working on this for a little and now I'm stumped for what I should do for the blade. I don't know if I should make a chopper, a slicer or a cutter. Any suggestions? Mind the unhammerd portion is going to be the blade not the filed portion.

0523080105.jpg

0523083548.jpg

0523083544.jpg

0523083517.jpg

0523083511.jpg

0523083446.jpg

0523083438.jpg

Edited by AndrewJohnKarow

Andrew Karow

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire man stole only one from the gods. Fire. And with it, man forged his will upon the world."-anonymous

The Armorers accomplishing the knights, With busy hammers closing rivets up, Give dreadful note of preparation." -Shakespeare

“The pen may indeed be mightier than the sword, but the wordsmith would do well to welcome the blacksmith back into the fold, so that artisan craftsmanship the world over may fend off the ravages of industrialised homogeneity and bland monoculture.” -Alex Morritt
The blacksmith is the heart of the pack, and the blacksmith is the heart of the pack. - Me

I might be able to find some square stock or steel bars somewhere but I´m not sure.

Andrew Karow

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire man stole only one from the gods. Fire. And with it, man forged his will upon the world."-anonymous

The Armorers accomplishing the knights, With busy hammers closing rivets up, Give dreadful note of preparation." -Shakespeare

“The pen may indeed be mightier than the sword, but the wordsmith would do well to welcome the blacksmith back into the fold, so that artisan craftsmanship the world over may fend off the ravages of industrialised homogeneity and bland monoculture.” -Alex Morritt
The blacksmith is the heart of the pack, and the blacksmith is the heart of the pack. - Me

Ok I will.

Andrew Karow

I've hardened rebar in dirty motor oil by accident. Really hot bar, one flaming quench, and it was really hard to hammer on the next time (Yes, I had NO idea what I was doing).

B)

Truth simply is. Whether you like that truth or not is totally irrelevant.

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge">https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge

• 1 year later...

Yeah I've done that before I actually knew what I was doing. Lol it scared the living daylights out of me.

Andrew Karow

On 5/23/2016 at 10:43 AM, Alan Longmire said:

If there's a Fastenal or a screw and bolt supplier near you ask for water-hard drill rod, that's W-1 tool steel.

I found some O-1 at my local fastenal also.